Talking car idea....

Paul Valente

Automotive Engineer
Someone needs to do this. Bob Brown, maybe? I hope everyone saw this video of this guy in Texas that turned his Billy Bass into an oracle for his Alexa and also taught it to respond to "BillyBass" instead of Alexa. Check it out.
So I was thinking, a more clever guy than I could make his X1/9 into the BillyBass and teach it to respond to whatever the name of the car is. Picture it...you are at the local cars and coffee and someone asks you who was the last American born driver to win an F1 race was and you could turn to your car:
You: "Giovanna"
Car: Headlights pop-up. "Yes"
You: "Who was the last American born driver to win an F1 race?"
Car: "Peter Revson" Headlights close.
Since the car doesn't have a mouth that moves, you could put red LEDs in the grille and have them pulse to the words it was speaking like the robot in the old "Lost in Space" TV show. Also, you could add a speaker to the car behind one of the horn grilles for better audio. The 74 has the best front end for the project.
Not sure how you could do it. It would have to be blue-toothed to your cell-phone and be more like Siri than a home-based system like Alexa. Maybe an Arduino would facilitate it. You'd have to tell it to use the mic in the phone and the speaker in the front of the car somehow. Both things I know little about.
It sounds silly but I would laugh my a$$ off if I was the unaware cars and coffee guy.

...maybe I'll just take half a pill tomorrow.

Great idea Paul. That would be a blast.

At the 2005 FFO, someone had a set of dummy legs stuffed under their X1/9. All thru the Saturday show there was a tape playing from under the car of a mechanic with an Italian accent talking to himself and to the car. Accompanied by the the sound of tools dropping and Italian cursing, well, I assumed it was cursing. I laughed my butt off every time I walked by the car.
IM001260.JPG

Great idea Paul. That would be a blast.

At the 2005 FFO, someone had a set of dummy legs stuffed under their X1/9. All thru the Saturday show there was a tape playing from under the car of a mechanic with an Italian accent talking to himself and to the car. Accompanied by the the sound of tools dropping and Italian cursing, well, I assumed it was cursing. I laughed my butt off every time I walked by the car.
View attachment 10534
Jon Montgomery or as the mechanic pronounced it Johna Montagomary :)

Thanks Paul. I was thinking it was Jon's X, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Popular ahhahaha, remember that played his songs at parties few years ago and laughed with tears in eyes.
Also didn’t watch it, even “Police of Los Angeles” with cars that exploded 10m high was more interesting

Even though the taste differs between Europe and US, it doesn't differ that much. ;-)

I think the "Hof" did an appearance at the fall of the Berlin Wall and since then, almost every time there has been a celebration of that, he has been invited.
I remember feeling a bit cringy even the first time I saw that apperance/singing performance....

I've never been a "TV" person; did not own one for many years and even now I only watch a select few automotive programs/races/etc. But I recall a long time ago seeing part of an episode of Bay Watch (you know, for the scenery)...until he came on screen. I could not bear to suffer through his really bad acting even long enough for the other "life guards" to come back on screen. So it was something of a shock to me to hear much later that he was popular as a singer in Europe. And not long ago there was something about him still performing. How is that possible?

Even though the taste differs between Europe and US, it doesn't differ that much. ;-)
Thanks Niklas, you've restored my faith in Europeans. I was beginning to wonder...if you guys actually like his singing then what else don't I know about you. :)

I seem to recall in (one of?) his divorce(s) that one of the assets claimed was the ownership of the slogan, "Don't Hassel the Hof". Priceless.

Back