Targa top and the frunk - which way?

tvmaster

True Classic
I've seen photos with the top inserted latches towards the driver side (seen here) and latches towards the passenger side.
Is there a right or wrong way, or is it user-choice?

1000020331.jpg

1000020330.jpg

mine always went in latches to the drivers side - and I am talking RHD. So since others are doing as I do - but in LHD cars, pretty clear it matters not.

mine always went in latches to the drivers side - and I am talking RHD
Yes, same here in the UK - it's the only way all things being equal, as the latches would normally foul on the battery cover - if there's no battery cover, then either way around may well work. There was a thread or two previously on this. The picture here from the Bertone manual shows a LHD car even for the right hand market cars, which just resulted in some badly stored roofs with wear marks where the bonnet rubbed on them as they sat too high 😬

Hmmm, I may have misunderstood the question. How can something so simple get complicated when we start talking about it? I always just rotate the top clockwise and stick it in there lataches on the passenger side. I have a battery cover and have noticed no problem. You guys have complex problems!

Any chance the latch could contact an uncovered battery terminal? If so, I’d say store the roof with the latches on the opposite side of the battery.

I do the same as Larry above and have a battery cover also. With the hood prop on the driver side I find it easier to get the top in from the passenger side. Rotate 90 degrees clockwise and get it in.

I always put the latches toward the driver's side (LHD). This seemed a more natural process as it was easier to reach the far side of the top with my right hand. I am right handed.

Back