Targa top stowage

eng622

Daily Driver
Posted about this some time ago and informed the targa catches go on the left side. The problem is the catch at the windscreen end fouls the plastic battery box. I can close the bonnet ok but the targa must rub against the bonnet reinforcement (mark there and the targa has a small scuff from rubbing). The battery box is screwed down as much as possible but must be too tall as the targa does not go into the rubber locating lug enough (does go down ok on other side). It must have been like this before my recent purchase.

I don't know which side the battery box is on in a RHD car; on mine (LHD) the battery box is on the right (passenger side for me) and the windshield washer reservoir is on the left side. I stow the top with the catches to the left, so over the windshield washer reservoir. Still, I get a bit of rubbing from the reinforcement ribs under the hood. Placing a pair of thick washcloths on top of the targa top (one on the left side, one on the right) seems to solve the problem.

Battery box on LHS and reservoir on RHS. Tried turning the targa round so catches over reservoir. The problem is it will not go in. As I push it forward it baulks/stops so will not drop down just in front of the rubber where the bonnet closes. It is as if it is telling me that's the wrong way round. Tried waggling from side to side but no joy. The targa sides are identical and think only the swapping the sides of the catch and rear lug could cause the problem.

Was given the link on here to the owners handbook and it clearly shows the catch over the battery box. So something must be wrong. The battery box top is a good 1/8 inch/3mm too tall hence rubber lug does not fit as intended. As said trying the other way round with catch over reservoir it does not fit.

Was given the link on here to the owners handbook
What was the link? Did it show this:
1631486962295.png

If so, this is a LHD car and yours will be the reverse as mentioned previously and as per the video. Even the handbook that came with our '88 RHD had the description and picture of the LHD... Have seen some badly fitted battery covers in the past causing problems, so Dr Jeff could be onto something - do you have a picture of this?

The top on my '86 sometimes caught on the metal tabs that hold down the front edge of the frunk's carpet liner; they needed to be folded down securely on the carpet (usually only an issue after carpet R&R).

It can be difficult to seat the top in the rubber mounts up in the nose, too; the weatherstrip catches on the base of the mount, instead of going in the notch, keeping the back from dropping down to the rear rubber catches; mine usually takes some jiggling to fully seat.

The top on my '86 sometimes caught on the metal tabs that hold down the front edge of the frunk's carpet liner; they needed to be folded down securely on the carpet (usually only an issue after carpet R&R).

It can be difficult to seat the top in the rubber mounts up in the nose, too; the weatherstrip catches on the base of the mount, instead of going in the notch, keeping the back from dropping down to the rear rubber catches; mine usually takes some jiggling to fully seat.
I find that a little Armor All applied to the rubber mounts up under the nosecone helps that edge of the top slide into place.

A little off topic, but I recall some guys making neat covers for the frunk hinges to prevent scratching the top as you wrestle it into its storage spot. Sorry, I don't remember why gets credit for this example:

Frunk hinge pads to protect top storage.jpg

It could be that the firewall rubber tabs require adjustment - if they're set too low (you just kinda bend them) - it could cause an interference.

Also, if they're set too high, the roof will rub on the hood frame (bonnet). I had mine at 90 degrees, and that was incorrect. I've since tipped them down a bit and the roof now clears the hood structure.

A little off topic, but I recall some guys making neat covers for the frunk hinges to prevent scratching the top as you wrestle it into its storage spot. Sorry, I don't remember why gets credit for this example:
That's the padding in my Corsa X. Just have the one set when I was contemplating storing the Saratoga top in the frunk.

Also when the great discovery was made that FIAT had the protective hinge pads up front..

https://www.midwest-bayless.com/fia...k-hinge-pad-left-fiat-bertone-x19-all-u8.aspx

That's the padding in my Corsa X. Just have the one set when I was contemplating storing the Saratoga top in the frunk.

Also when the great discovery was made that FIAT had the protective hinge pads up front..

https://www.midwest-bayless.com/fia...k-hinge-pad-left-fiat-bertone-x19-all-u8.aspx
Greg, thanks for reminding me the pic is of your car. Nice job.

I don't recall that factory pad in the link. The description says it is for the left hinge. Did they also make one for the right hinge? I assume it bolts to the inner side of the hinge?
Seems like it would not provide a lot of protection, especially if there is only one. Guess I'd have to see it in place to better tell. You can see that is was rubbing against something:
hinge guard.jpg

I like your solution better anyway. And that is something I can make. ;)

The hinge "pads" are the standard fare, and I think on all years. They are L and R because the fit on the medial surface of each hinge.

At one point I was requesting that 3D printer people try printing some that covered more of the hinge than do the stock ones, but no one took up the challenge :(

The hinge "pads" are the standard fare, and I think on all years. They are L and R because the fit on the medial surface of each hinge.

At one point I was requesting that 3D printer people try printing some that covered more of the hinge than do the stock ones, but no one took up the challenge :(
Interesting. I wonder if they were prone to getting knocked off or breaking or such? Because I've never had them on any of my X's.

Making some with better coverage would be a good idea. Perhaps in a material that is a bit soft and forgiving so they don't scratch the top.

Interesting. I wonder if they were prone to getting knocked off or breaking or such? Because I've never had them on any of my X's.

Making some with better coverage would be a good idea. Perhaps in a material that is a bit soft and forgiving so they don't scratch the top.

Same here, never seen them on any X1/9, ever. And boy, have I seen a LOT of X1/9s. Just saw 6 just yesterday...

What was the link? Did it show this:
View attachment 52052
If so, this is a LHD car and yours will be the reverse as mentioned previously and as per the video. Even the handbook that came with our '88 RHD had the description and picture of the LHD... Have seen some badly fitted battery covers in the past causing problems, so Dr Jeff could be onto something - do you have a picture of this?

The link is as shown so as a LHD car the black box on LHS near the catch A looks to be the battery one but other pics for LHD show the battery box on the RHS. I'm really confused. The battery box I have fits flush to the body and fits over two studs and held down by nuts. As said trying the other way round it just won't go in enough. At the front where the boot carpet ends there are 3 body coloured vertical lugs from the floor so not sure what they are supposed to do.

Back