Targa top paint and headliner suggestions

wombat

The World Wide Wombat
... before the weather turns a mite cooler here in the pacific north west, I thought it would be best to renew the targa top for the wintery elements. That and a dry garage.

Things to do:

1 - Remove the old and fit new weatherstripping. I already have that from Mad Matt ...
2 - Fit headlining. There is no headlining and likely never was any. So no idea here - what's the recommendation? Vinyl and foam pad? Anyone been to a fabric shop and found something to recommend? White color/ Taupe? Puce?
3 - Paint it. As this is an 81 model and gold at that, I'm opting for the black color targa top as it is now ... now is that flat black out of a rattle can will do it? TonyN, I think you have made some mention of painting a targa top a little ways back?

Thanks folks

chrisE
Gold 81X (Sophie)

No headliner?

Most of the 79/80 on up models had a headliner. You could probably retrofit the pieces (Matt should have them) or get a top with the headliner already attached. (That way you could turn your non-headliner top into a Saratoga top!) As for the paint, the bodyshop that sprayed my car did all the black pieces in a black base coat with a matt clear coat to reduce fading. Good luck.

Dave

Hey Chris...

Targa Top in the "factory" Black can be replicated easily for 5 bucks of Duplicolor, Trim Black. It has a modest sheen, not flat, and not glossy, goes on easily and doesn't show fingerprints. A bit of Meguier's Detailer now and then keeps it fresh. But....

I digress... since ya have it apart... there is NOTHING like the a top painted to match the body color. It just LOOKS right. One needs to sand off all the pebble finsh and then you'll see WHY they had a pebble finish... lots of prep work to smooth them out. But ifin' yur in for a long cold winter... I'd do it on anything bit a BLACK car.

As for a headliner... I believe it was the BERTONES that had the slightly padded and perferated off-white liners... You can probaby find a bit of like material at any GOOD car upholstery shop. Ya wouldn't need much, just use a GOOD Spray Contact Adhesive from 3M. They have numbers like 77, Super 77 and 78. You want the kind that holds up to HIGH heat... otherwise you'll find the 'liner on your head on a hot day. (Don't ask me how I know this...)

Also... I used some Indoor/Outdoor BLACK carpet from Home Depot... about 10 running feet of the 6 foot wide stuff... for about 20 bucks about 10 years ago. I used it to carpet the entire car, front, back, cockpit... and glued some up as a headliner!

BTW... I hate driving with the top on... but almost anything glued to the inside of the top helps reduce the echo-effect like yur ina tin can. Secondly, I couldn't find TRIM BLACK (ina GREEN can, no less) at my usual outlets... so I bought BUMPER BLACK. Haven't tried that yet... Let know if you can find TRIM BLACK, I didn't bother to ask if they could order any... My local Kragen is usally quite helpful.

Send fotos when you decide!

I don't remember my old 1976 X having a headliner, and my 1980 does, and boy does it seem heavier to lift into the "frunk!" (or I am just really old and weak now.) I think I prefer the lighter-weight unlined one. The lining of my 1980 X looks like what I think was Alfa Romeo "snakebite" pattern perforated vinyl. The material was available from IAP.

I don't remember my old 1976 X having a headliner, and my 1980 does, and boy does it seem heavier to lift into the "frunk!" (or I am just really old and weak now.) I think I prefer the lighter-weight unlined one. The lining of my 1980 X looks like what I think was Alfa Romeo "snakebite" pattern perforated vinyl. The material was available from IAP.

Originally only air conditioned cars had headliners on the top.
Paint the exterior with trim black to make em look new, assuming you don't want body color.

Yes, as of '79 (with AC) there was a headliner.

It is an off-white color with a grid of tiny holes, relatively flat. Actually the headliner helps a lot here in the desert Southwest. The interior stays relatively cool even on the hottest days. I can't say that about any other cars that I drive.

Right you are Janet...

I remember Herzel complaining about the weight too, as he is short in stature and doesn't have the leverage. When I lifted his top, I too was somewhat amazed. I think it is more than just the headliner though... as the "glas" appears to be more of a "resin", unlike the older tops that are all fiberglas.

I like SEM

I know it's used mostly on interior upholstery but it does a killer job on targa tops. The black to use in Landeau. Since it's for vinyl and plastics it's very flexable and holds on tight.

By accident my son used it in an engine bay in a 124 Spider. It looked great, laid in nicely and had no issue with heat. I'd say it's pretty durable.

By mistake,

Mudge

Attention: Tony N

Sem is the best! For us "X" fans in Santa Clarita, Ca, you'll find it at Modern Paint, across from Stock Lumber, on recently renamed "Railroad Avenue. Man, it dries fast, looks great!!!

Hey Danny, Welcome aboard...

This new format is a bit confusing... as WIl kinda thinks I'm looking for this material also.

I'm not...

In fact, I hesitate to install the top even when it rains... as if I can keep enough forward motion, the water goes right over my head!

HAHAHA...

So... how is the "wife's" '74 coming? Let me know when I can drop by and see it!

on the 85 I had back in college (1988 or so), I had scuffs on the textured top, so I took iot to a body shop. $125, sanded smooth as glass and painted black gloss with clear. shiny, smooth, nice....

and a little diffreent.

Ya wanta heavy top??

I had an 82 parts car that they had put a glass sunroof into the targa top...

The car went to MidWestX in a swap for items I could use on the '74... not sure if they still have the top...

Matt? Thomas?

We have a couple of targas....

....with sunroofs. Pretty heavy. I guess some people really like them. I think we have one or two smooth tops, as well. I'd have to check.

This new format is a bit confusing... as WIl kinda thinks I'm looking for this material also.

I'm not...

In fact, I hesitate to install the top even when it rains... as if I can keep enough forward motion, the water goes right over my head!

HAHAHA...

So... how is the "wife's" '74 coming? Let me know when I can drop by and see it!

Tony, I was not offering it up to you.

I just used the last reply button in the thread to post rather then scrolling up after reading everything. If you were in linear thread display mode then it would be less confusing for you.

Well... Wil... actually...

In this mode... it should be less confusing for everybody. It appears to link direct responses to the the person that posted prior... how is that confusing... but it appears that its not very popular.

This time you responded directly to my post... I'll go look at the Linear mode again... and see if its any better...

Whoa... tried a few options... I think I'll stick with Hybrid... Guess I'm just too old!

Last edited:
Back