Targa top weights

Jim, similar idea to mine. just make all four corners attach with hinges and with a hinge in the center of the sides, to fold it up the sides fold in and nothing has to come apart. the ribs could be like a batten in a sail, just have to sew in the pockets for them. If they were a little longer than the pocket they would add a little bow to the top.

carl,

I have been mulling over various fold up designs for years. I haven't ever come to the point of cutting up the one spare top I have on hand. A big golf umbrella covers the targa area nicely when stationary, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't work too well once you get rolling. :)

Here was an early idea I sketched up years ago to try and come up with a top that didn't require feeding it into the frunk when not in use.
View attachment 3928
I bought some material, but never was able to come up with a good idea on how to add some "ribs". Without support, the fabric would create a saggy pond in the rain and would probably flap like crazy on the move. Your aluminum skin idea is interesting. I wounder how much weight that would save.

I also wonder why my 78 non-headliner top weighed in at 16lbs and your early non-headliner top weighed 23lbs. That is a 7lbs difference. Maybe I need to re-weigh mine. The three weights I posted were recorded in back to back to back measurements on the same scale.

I weighed my roof today, as I decided to repaint it.

With all hardware in place: 10.4kgs (22.9lbs)
With all hardware removed: 8.5kgs (18.7lbs)
After sanding smooth for paint: 8.3kgs (18.3lbs)

My X is a '75. I have no idea if it is the original roof.

Where I thought I might be able to trim material to lighten the roof, on closer inspection, now doesn't seem possible.

Cheers,

Rob

I had forgotten already about the other thread with dragonsgate's weight reduction version. I had planned to get hold of a second lid & give that a try :)

Back