Technology can easily run amuck

My Maytag washer and dryer that I bought in 1976 lasted 40 years. At that point, a rusting tub retired the pair.
And the old ones work so much better than the newer water saving, electricity saving ones controlled by your phone.

Tech.... watch this Mazak Integrex (60hp on the main spindle, 20hp on the moving spindle, Japan) move metal..

Tech works when properly applied, Tech goes wonky when mis-applied.. Mis-applied tech is often the result of marketing-management, biased and Meh designed studies or engineering folks disconnected with reality and actual needs of any given design.

Bernice
Love Peter's (I think that's his name) content. Love Robin Renzetti's just as much maybe more.

Love Peter's (I think that's his name) content. Love Robin Renzetti's just as much maybe more.
Peter... good machinist, no "YouTube" produced for content non-sense..

The other machinist of merit is Curtis at CEE in Australia. Wife does an excellent job producing videos as Curtis works away on BIG stuff.
That SIP jig bore is 😊🥳

At some point Curtis will get that Huron mill up and running... after a proper foundations is installed..
Doggie and Birds add to the content.

Bernice

Peter... good machinist, no "YouTube" produced for content non-sense..

The other machinist of merit is Curtis at CEE in Australia. Wife does an excellent job producing videos as Curtis works away on BIG stuff.
That SIP jig bore is 😊🥳

At some point Curtis will get that Huron mill up and running... after a proper foundations is installed..
Doggie and Birds add to the content.

Bernice
Yes, I have also watched CEE's videos. The Australian color brings a lot of fun to their channel. The videos do get a bit repetitive, but he does have a lot of cool machines in his shop.

Have you watched Steve Barton's Solid Rock Machine shop? He's more similar to Peter. Not flashy but great content. His grinding videos are fantastic.

The British Motorcycle industry went down the tubes in the 70s because the companies were all bought up by other folks whose upper management were all business people who knew nothing about motorcycles or the people who rode them or the importance of reinvesting your profits in better tooling, design etc.

Every time we have had an appliance repair guy come out they stress that we try not to buy current replacement appliances as they just crap and don't last like the old ones did.

No reason you can't buy a 128 or 124 sedan and make it wonderful as a 1980s car. Just don't try to do things like ad AC or fuel injection. Add bigger motors of the same family (1500 in a 128), modern tires, good brake pads, comfortable seats from a Miata or Acura RSX and off you go.

There is a demeaning term for those of us who won't embrace modern tech but we seem to smile more. Having said that, I really love my GTI but if it breaks I can't fix it.

Still trying to get the TV to stop telling us what channel we are watching.

Still doing what I always do to relax from modern tech, I check and replace valve shims on old Fiat single and twin cam motors.

personal peeve. I hate that the term "technology" has been so utterly subsumed by the IT/electronics industry aided by idiotic journalists. A pointed stick is technology. The wheel is technology.

I know we have branched off in the general direction of tech but just wanted to put out a shout to myself to solve the talking TV.
I just had to become Columbo to figure out the facts of the crime. As usual, my wife hit a button on the FIOS remote and set up the problem. The voice would tell you the channel number, name of the program, time span of the program and some other crap. If you channel hop like the wife does you constantly hear this stupid voice. Anyway, after realizing I was not hearing the voice (which really was not in my head) on streaming channels it had to be something in the Verizon set up. Sure enough there is an "options" button on the remote and one of the options was "voice of text" (or something like that). It was on and I turned it off. Life is Good.

Maybe real use tech would have said "you really want to do that?" before the button was hit again to confirm.

By the way, my GTI spends a lot of time trying to synch "Nathan's" phone to my car. We have no Nathan, he was probably the previous owner.

Once we have our own personal AI concierge, They can help us through all this...unless it's HAL9000 based.

I know we have branched off in the general direction of tech but just wanted to put out a shout to myself to solve the talking TV.
I just had to become Columbo to figure out the facts of the crime. As usual, my wife hit a button on the FIOS remote and set up the problem. The voice would tell you the channel number, name of the program, time span of the program and some other crap. If you channel hop like the wife does you constantly hear this stupid voice. Anyway, after realizing I was not hearing the voice (which really was not in my head) on streaming channels it had to be something in the Verizon set up. Sure enough there is an "options" button on the remote and one of the options was "voice of text" (or something like that). It was on and I turned it off. Life is Good.

Maybe real use tech would have said "you really want to do that?" before the button was hit again to confirm.

By the way, my GTI spends a lot of time trying to synch "Nathan's" phone to my car. We have no Nathan, he was probably the previous owner.

Once we have our own personal AI concierge, They can help us through all this...unless it's HAL9000 based.
You can delete Nathan in one of the menus in that system. It isn’t that deep in the menus so pretty easy to resolve.

I have test driven a number of cars with a remarkable number of people’s phones synced to them. I deleted mine and a pile of others at the end of my test drive…

You are talking to a guy whose tech skills don't go much further than adjusting the mixture screw on a Weber carb. Fortunately I have kids who understand all this crap but don't know how to change a flat tire or ad radiator juice to their overflow tank.

Have you watched Steve Barton's Solid Rock Machine shop? He's more similar to Peter. Not flashy but great content. His grinding videos are fantastic.
Had a quick look at Solid Rock, does lots of BP mill and grinding work..

Here is another YouTube lathe content fave:

All that is passing time away watching content on YouTube... Not the same as doing machine tool stuff in real time, in the shop..
Mori & BP, 10.13.2023.jpg

Making steinmetz solids..
45 degree V on BP.jpg

steinmetz solid_V.jpg

steinmetz solids.jpg

Or modifying a view camera lens board..
Sinar board set up, Mori.jpg

Sinar board hole, Mori.jpg

Sinar lens board BH, Mori.jpg

No interest in producing YouTube content.. making stuff as needed is more interesting than watching stuff on YouTube.

Bernice

Your equipment is a tad advanced on the rest of us who usually have a bench vice, maybe a drill press and a gaggle of battery powered tools.

Back