Temporary outage for heater

Thanks. I have seen other variations aside from this and the later style with a nipple on the return tube. Not sure what years, engines, markets, or why...but apparently there are other versions.
But that really does not matter. What I wonder is how much difference there is between all of them in terms of temp and flow.

My 79 engine had a heater return nipple, as well as a few small nipples, on the big horizontal return pipe near the thermostat side. It put the return hose a bit close to the headers so I reverted to the 74 setup.

I would guess that having the return at the pump might result in a slightly higher heater flow rate since the pressure should be lowest at the pump input.

Ideally I'd like to get a good flow of cooled water for the turbo. In other words, right after the water pump. But I don't know of any arrangement that allows that. Getting it at the return side (after going through the radiator) will be cooler, but also lower pressure so the flow won't be as good. However with it being a pressurized system, I wonder just much less flow there would be from the T-stat housing vs from the head?

If you could measure the pressures at those points, it might give you a better idea of what the best option is. The highest flow rate should be at maximum pressure differential.

You could add a small water pump to circulate through the turbo, inlet of the pump from the radiator return line and then have it dump into the either the overflow tank (least desirable) or the supply side to the radiator.

This takes it out of the pumping against a pump loop as it will be a circuit of its own. Adding a T to the two primary hoses on the radiator side of the thermostat would be easiest.

One of the small pumps used by VW or the Ford Mustang intercooler pump for would suffice.

You could add a small water pump to circulate through the turbo
I've bounced that idea around. It would also allow me to add a timer circuit so the coolant would continue to circulate through the turbo awhile after shut down. However the stock design (on the UnoTurbo, that many of my turbo components came from) is clever. The coolant comes from the engine below the turbo, through it, then upward to the overflow tank. That way when the engine is shut down the heat continues to circulate some coolant through the loop, lifting from bottom to top as heat rises. Many dirt bikes use this same principle without any water pump, the coolant is totally circulated by the heat differential only and works quite well. But ideally having a dedicated pump would be preferred, however that adds complexity and more stuff to cram into a tight area.

I'm open to additional thoughts on this.

Back