That plastic pedal box bearing...

Think the oem bushing is delrin (acetal), should work fine due to the large bearing area. Do lube the bushing with the appropriate line before assembly.

Bernice

Think the oem bushing is delrin (acetal)
It might be, however the stock one seems softer than acetal to me. But that's just based attempts to revive a damaged stock one (i.e. modify the plastic) and having made other components with known acetal...so I can't say for sure. However I agree with your point that the material used for the stock one was close enough that acetal will work fine. ;)

Delrin is an acetal. Typically a teflon impregnated form of Delrin called Delrin AF 100 is used in bearing applications. It has a 10% PTFE (Teflon) content.It has excellent moisture and oil/grease resistance with better lubricity than bronze. There is a 20% PTFE filled Delrin that is used more for applications where low friction is critical and/or there is high surface speed / stress.

I’ve used both Delrins in many spacecraft/ rocket applications, but only where outgassing wasn’t an issue. Outgassing will not be an issue in automotive applications. Delrin should not be used in applications where continuous temperatures are above 190 deg F.

I just did the refurb on my son's '86 this weekend. I'm surprised I hadn't come across this post earlier, great info in here. This is the 3rd or 4th pedal box I've refurbed.

1689606750890.png

I'm way more concerned over the pushrod shaft than the delrin pivot shaft, though. I've always been able to clean up, lube, and re-use the pivot shafts. The pushrod shaft though, they're a different story. I've been pondering how to put a bronze or rolling element bushing in there to keep this from happening:

1689606872030.png

That's the worst one I've ever seen, but most clutch pushrod shafts have significant wear like this.

I just did the refurb on my son's '86 this weekend. I'm surprised I hadn't come across this post earlier, great info in here. This is the 3rd or 4th pedal box I've refurbed.

View attachment 75467

I'm way more concerned over the pushrod shaft than the delrin pivot shaft, though. I've always been able to clean up, lube, and re-use the pivot shafts. The pushrod shaft though, they're a different story. I've been pondering how to put a bronze or rolling element bushing in there to keep this from happening:

View attachment 75468

That's the worst one I've ever seen, but most clutch pushrod shafts have significant wear like this.
This was done to the Lancia Monte# 209 pedal and cylinder push rods..

Bernice

Using heim joints for the pedals' pushrod pivots looks like a great idea. The exact same "wear" issue exists in a few other locations around these cars. Similar mods would be good there as well. ;)

Back