"That's why they call it beta"

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
Trying a little something else new here, kind of feeling like "AAU" is not the handiest acronym we could fit to an Xweb room long term...

I had to rework the erstwhile navbar links today (not yet w/imagery -in fact, now, I am kind of liking it, I may just update the WF icon and call it good, but had to add/respace text links) so found myself looking around for something that rolls off the tongue easier, sticks to the brain, doesn't really require much explanation or hand-wringing contemplation/confusion about, has 'some' kind of clearer relationship to the larger theme of the overall site etc...

Therefore, I would like to propose "NFC" (Non-Fiat Content) as our off-topic section's long term / post-beta moniker best suited to the cause :) Geekwise, it also gets the word 'Fiat' included on our index page section list as well as 'X1/9' which could only help boost us in web searches etc...

BTW while I was at it I revised the index sections' text description lines slightly to make them a bit more distinct...

Comments as always are welcome and appreciated :cool:

question about the nav bar, why did you use ------------- instead of just making a table? Getting Lazy on us!?

OH and I just noticed, when using the search in "show post" mode, it shows all the HTML code in all the 1.0 database results.

spacing

Ultimately am going to use clear gifs for spacing, just did not have the time yesterday so did the ---- thing as a temp fix. Also yes I am aware of the html code showing in the mirror threads, theres unfortunately nothing that can be done (in an immediate sense) about that, the only way to capture all the correct formatting from the original thread views is to capture the html and enable it in the mirror section, but this unfortunately allows it to be seen in other certain circumstances... we're still ironing the bugs out here...

Just curious why do you need to boost web exposure if you not advertizing?? Just wondering...

we don't :)

We're already very near the top of google, yahoo, etc in most searches for "X1/9" and related terms, so we don't "need" to do anything... even SEO experts who do all kinds of bizarre tricks to boost their rankings will tell you, the best possible way to get to the top of results is to just have relevant content ;) ... I was more just mentioning it as a 'bonus' element than saying we 'need' it...

thank you

Actually Gregory it was you who gave me the idea - I was contemplating what we could better rename the section when I noticed a post of yours in that section tagged "(NFC)" - and all of a sudden, "aha"! :cool: :grin: It is a phrase more often used on Mira than Xweb (since Mira is 'all Fiat/Lancia/Yugo' where we're X-specific, generally speaking) but it is also a phrase that most regular users here recognize and understand immediately, so, it seemed a natural fit :)

The irony is that between all my worldofwarcraft buddies, NFC = No F*ing Clue, so thats what I thought of when i saw the change lol... and somehow it still makes just as much sense as Non fiat content. Maybe even more sometimes... because i click on some of those threads and wonder. :confuse2:

well...

... I guess it could mean a lot of things... I know some guys who used to tell me it meant "novel f*ing concept" :rolleyes:

In our case, it really is supposed to just mean "no Fiat content" though :whistle: ;)

I gotta agree with Wil, Mac...

The "F" in anything always means F---. Navy Boot Camp does that to ya and now the WORLD has picked it up.

I have a BETTER idea... DITCH the entire F-ing NFC-AAU-WHATEVER forum. Under ANY name... its a P.O.S. and has always caused a problem.

Do the same with the tech section... just re-label it BEST OF!

Oh... forgive me... I said that before didn't I...

I prefer the different forums...

And this is why.

If I'm surfing and lots of spare time, I choose to read all of our forums.

If I have limited time, I probably avoid our workshop forum, since it may require detailed and thoughtful responses, sometimes with several trips to the garage to photograph my car, look something up, or something like that.

I like the garage theme, perhaps the NFC forum should be the "waiting room" :nana:

Back