The '74 X comes home today

mmudge

True Classic
I had some cheap'o tires mtd on stock steelies for the occasion. There will be a profusion of pictures as the project commences, so if it get's to be too much just tell me to "can it". :thumbsup:

Mudge

You must have this site confused with...

... TWITTER or FACEBOOK...

Geez-Loueez...

Let's see some fotos, action, and lots of your MONEY spent!!!

Get with it Mike... I expect some real BEFORE and AFTER results by 8PM tonight!

HAHAHA!

p.s. Tony Natoli is in the mall today... dreaming of his next Gucci purchase...

The X is home pix up soon

A few issues but nothing horrible. The motor lid and rear trunk lid latches are missing and I'll need new hinhes for the rear lid. One siezed and rusted away.

By next Summer it should be okay.

Mudge

Your dog doesn't seem to approve...

I loved the first picture of your dog checking out the interior and then the next shot when he's gone!

Dave

Jack the dog says "Ruff", but it looks workable to me.

This one should clean up nicely. So, now the choices:

1300 or 1500?
4-speed or 5-speed?
Repaint or refurbish?

Oh, and check the upper crossmember behind the motor. They tend to come apart.

Ciao,

I don't see rust?

I know its Cali X and stored away for the most from the coast (albiet in the bushes). Unless I missed it in the photos any rust?

If no then you scored my friend. a good friend of Tom Mulhall (I don't know if that rings any bells at all) always tells me to "find a 74 - that is the X to have". Tom had an early X he converted to a DOHC out of a Scorpion. It was a nice car that is in Japan now I believe.

Have fun with that thing man!
-Tim

I know its Cali X and stored away for the most from the coast (albiet in the bushes). Unless I missed it in the photos any rust?

If no then you scored my friend. a good friend of Tom Mulhall (I don't know if that rings any bells at all) always tells me to "find a 74 - that is the X to have". Tom had an early X he converted to a DOHC out of a Scorpion. It was a nice car that is in Japan now I believe.

Have fun with that thing man!
-Tim

Tom's DOHC was born a 1981 or 82 FI car.

Minor rust and what I I know now about the car.

The X looks to have 110,124 miles on it and it is a 1 owner car. I have the original Pink from 11/27/74 and the license plate on the car matches it.

The paint is original without any signs of respray or touch up. The motor is complete but I don't know it's condition yet. At this point I CAN tell you the E-brake works just fine. :)

There are a few spots of rust but so far no penetrations. A couple small pressure dents that can be pushed out and one on the driver side fender, at the top crease, that will need some work.

The front spoiler is curled under a little in the center and the opposing part on the passenger side is punched in a bit with some lite rust. The honeycomb grill is great.

All 4 bumpers are good and only the driver side front will need the bracket bent back into line. The choke lever is broken off and the closing latches for the rear trunk and motor lid are toast. I'll also be needing new hinges for the rear trunk. These are rusted, 1 sprung and one snapped off.

Today I washed it then hit the whole body with a fine steel wool to get the grunge off. The paint looks much better now and just needs a polish with a little cut, then buff to shine. There are numerous rock chips and dings and I'll most likely have the car repainted in the Spring.

In a minute I'm headed back out to keep going on the pinstripe removal. I also painted the top an hour ago and will do the motor lid after lunch.

Mudge

Back