The BLACK wire next to the Brown Wire in the Brown wire mod

duderduderini

True Classic
Hey Fellow fiat nuts.
I just finished plumbing the relays for the headlights and passed the wires into the cabin for the all but famous BWM. Looking at the 4 pin connector from the ignition switch I note evidence of burning of the contacts but more so for the Black wire not the brown wire. I trace this back to the headlight wiring according to the wiring diagram.So what experience has anyone else had re this?
With respect to the BWM ....where in the fuse box do we add the wire? I know I have the ceramic fuses and there is a plastic connector with the brown wire there.
Where exactly must this second wire connect to? I havent been able to figure it out exactly
Thanks
Nick

Not sure I'm understanding your question but

The Brown wire from the battery goes to a large flat white union (a connection of sorts) located to the left of your fuse block. Should be at least 3 brown wires attached.

And...

... this is a sign that your headlights are drawing a fair amount of current, perhaps too much.

Would be a good time to consider headlight relays, especially if you're running anything other than stockish sealed beam halogens.

Relays in the headlight circuit will protect the delicate ignition and headlight switches if done correctly.

Just as Greg said. I had similar indications on my '87. I did the BWM (straight to the fuse block) and the HRM and never had another problem with the headlights. Well, ok, I also had to replace the melted switch. It also solved about 85% of the other electrical problems with that car. The rest of them were taken care of by cleaning ALL the ground contacts and crimping down on/tightening up of all the spade connectors.
From the sound of it (ceramic fuses) you have an earlier (74-78) car with the fuse block on the left side. I don't remember where the battery lead connects to the block on them and my '77s fuse block is buried in a box somewhere in the garage...

BWM to fuse box

Hey and thanks
I set up the headlight relays as follows.
The wires to the headlights were identified and cut. The wires upstream from the cut are now the Trigger wires for the relays.
The relay outputs now connect to the wires that go to the headlamps. The relays get their power from the battery directly via a fuse box that i procured. this fuse box has both positive and negative connections to the battery
the earths from the headlights go back to the fuse box (which in turn is connected to the -ve of the batery

What confuses me is where does the 2nd bwm go on the white connector which resides in the fuse box. Mine has the Large b rown wire from the battery and 3 other brown wires there as well Where on this union does the new BWM wire go?
I also upgraded all the spades to wide ones for all the wires going to the ignition switch.
Next thing I will be doing is an earth wire from the engine/gearbox to the battery direct.. a big one...
Nick

Nick, sounds like you've got most of it done.

I just recently did the BWM and headlight relay mod. It sounds like you installed an auxiliary fuse block for the headlight relays. I'm a little confused with the discussion about where to connect the 2nd. BWM to the white connector (as I recall). On my X, I had a #10 wire from the new auxiliary fuse block run to the vicinity of the ignition switch. Following the instructions, there was a brown wire there where I stripped back some insulation and spliced the wire from the new fuse block into this wire.

From your description, it sounds like the white connector is at the existing/original fuse block. If this is correct, what I did several months ago was at the advice of Bob Brown. This was to run a #10 wire directly from the positive of the battery to the original fuse block and connect to the buss side of the fuse block that feeds all the fuses. This made an incremental improvement and I didn't have to mess with any connectors. If this doesn't help any, you might want to PM Bob Brown as he's the electrical guru.
Mike

I got it sussed

Hi
After much ruminating (and I can see why cows do that now) i decided to do this re the white connector block next to the fuses. Take the existing brown wire and connect it to the smaller brown wire that feed fuse #10 then take the new mofo 8g wire and put it where the original brown wire sat (which feeds #11 and beyond and ignition)
I passed the earth cable from the engine bay thru a grommet tha passes the speedo cable and along the transmission tunnel where there is a wriring loom already. I got it to the battery now so earthing the engine wont be a problem anymore.
Could you read my other post ans see if anybody can help me there re
a wire that i took off and dont know where it goes
Thanks
Nick

Back