The Disappearance of the Vintage Car - Hemmings Motor News - September 2023

A friend of mine sent me this article written by an X1/9 owner:

The Disappearance of the Vintage Car - Hemmings Motor News - 2023_09.jpg

I did my part today. I needed to take my youngest to the dentist this afternoon, so I checked the weather and saw that the rain was done for today. That inspired me to pull the cover off the 850 Coupe and go take my son to the dentist in it. There were more than a couple of people who stared and pointed as we drove past.

I have a couple other vintage cars that are complete and road-worthy.
They're both nice, and shiny, with chrome bumpers.
Modern drivers are used to driving bumper cars.
Like at the amusement parks of old, they have large plastic bumpers and are designed to bonk into each other at low speeds without damage.
On the phone, texting or watching a cat video, if they happen to bump into another car, it's simply an annoyance.
Opening doors at parking lots or pulling into a space - stuff happens.
Parking spots are getting smaller and cars getting bigger.
Cars are now disposable plastic transportation appliances.
Features are safety, nav, or infotainment in nature.
Collision shops aren't able to source parts to repair a vintage vehicle so you have to fix them yourself.
Old cars don't have LED brake lights, or even a 3rd brake light.
Here, we get run into, even in our regular car, several times a year.
Unless there are injuries the police are not involved, no report or fault is assigned, and, luckily for the insurance companies, your rates go up if you make a claim regardless of whose fault it was.
In tight places like SF, bumping into adjacent cars is a normal part of parking.
Cars are beaten up as part of daily life and for most that's perfectly normal.
Driving my old cars in traffic is a stressful, hectic nightmare of tailgaiters on the phone.
Totally sucks.
Other than events, say cars n' coffee, early, before the idiots emerge, i leave them safe and inside.
Body work in the back yard is just too much work.
If you're going to drive a vintage car, keep it a beater.

I live in New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the country. We also have the highest insurance rates in the US, and you can imagine why... No Fault Insurance, a large number of illegally uninsured motorists, and a population that is seemingly made up largely of A holes and idiots. Mea Culpa... I count myself among both groups from time to time. I still choose to drive my X at every opportunity. Unfortunately, you have to assume that your invisible to everyone, and that "everyone" is a complete absent minded moron behind the wheel. With the exception of the deer that jumped out between 2 huge SUV's that were sitting in oncoming traffic, (a couple of years ago) I have managed to avoid many close calls. Our cars are so small and nimble it usually provides for a quick escape route, when needed. The way I look at it, A. I'm not getting any younger and I want to enjoy my car as much as I can, and for as long as I can. B. I love it for the same reasons we all do, but mostly because it exciting to drive. It makes me feel alive. C. The idiots around me (while sometimes stressful) just add to the excitement of driving around my state. Now if you'll excuse me, it's 40 degrees here today, and I'm going to take the top off and run some errands and do some last minute Xmas shopping. I hope you all have a safe and Happy Holiday Season! :cool:

One of the best things about the X1/9 is that if my X were laid up due to an ignition problem, and I couldn't figure it out, I could start a thread about it and have the benefit of the collective experience of this forum. And there'd probably be people offering to send me parts, or at least pointing me to whatever I might need from one of our suportive vendors.

There've been times the car wasn't ready to drive when I wanted, but it's never been because it was waiting on a mechanic to fix it for me. It's always been dependent on fixing it myself (and with my father). This forum is the resource that makes it possible for someone with my limited knowledge (and budget) to get so much enjoyment from this car.

I think I'll wander over to the 'How to Donate to X-Web' thread and leave a Christmas gift...

And this is not the only time he has mentioned the X 1/9 in his column. He had some glowing comments a couple of months back. As I recall, it was about how, when the X came out, it made everything else look positively archaic.

Back