The Ever-Expanding Overreach of the Nanny State

You are just too profound...

for the likes of me.

So, how can you possibly know what my 'nature' is. Just humor me and give a straight answer-the cleverness and the chess stories don't help. A hiaku won't help either.

C.S. Lewis wrote...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be “cured” against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals."

Well said, sir!

Yeah, Lewis said a lot of...

pretty interesting stuff and wound up convinced that not only was Christianity the only true belief but the C of E version in particular-a strange choice as it is said about the Anglicans that they are even more secular than than atheists. Their churches are first rate architecture notwithstanding that, or perhaps because of it.

What in the world this quote has to do with the question I put to you is quite beyond me, but I see you are trying your darndest.

Lewis is something one should outgrow after awhile- especially the mighty sounding pronouncements like the quote you have graced us with. He isn't wrong exactly but the exalted tone and voice of the prose is suspicious coming from someone who spent so much of his life rather away from the world at large. He was a storyteller and prose master of a high wrung of a lower ladder of thinkers and much too influenced by the clique of which he formed one third, Charles Williams and Tolkien being the balance. They were all a bit above or outside it all (Williams in particular) and prone to mythomania.
We have a shelf full of the 'Inklings' writing and it is fun. but......

His best works, taken together are the three space novels , of which That Hideous Strength is a veritable novelistic expansion of your quote. It does have the problem of being outstanding in all the parts describing the subjection of the human spirit to a all encompassing paternalism and dismally sentimental when he lapses into the tedious Christian polemics surroundng the 'Director', or 'Ransom' as he is rather obviously called. He (Lewis) is very good with the animals and the nature of their otherness (Mr. Bultitude being a memorable character considering he is a bear) He is terrible with all women characters-which leads me to think that he isn't entirely convincing as a thinker.

Back