The Saint, about the concept

Bjorn Nilson

True Classic
There was a discussion in the forum lately about the Volvo P1800. I like it looks but driving and handling don't impress me much. It is a tractor as I wrote.
However, The Saint is probably a completely different thing. The car is made in a village just a few miles from me and I've been visiting the company a few times. The von Braun company used to sell all kinds of sports cars but during the last few years, they also built The Saint. Before they also used to build "Indigo 3000" which also was built on Volvo components. That project crashed, but hopefully they will succeed with The Saint.
This film was just released and I hope you will enjoy it.

I just commented on that other thread about it. I was mainly referring to the other restomod based on the P1800 (don't recall the name but I think you posted a pic of a blue one?). I was quite surprised someone invested the money to develop such a high level restomod on this model (P1800). But as I said, it may be much more popular in other parts of the world?

I think you mean the "Cyan". That one is crazy expensive and I don't expect The Saint will be much cheaper either. I think you need to bring an existing P1800 to be built upon as well. There are lots of (rich) Volvo fanatics in central EU and probably also some Americans that may buy them, but these are high risk projects.
The first Cyan was sold for 650000 USD. I wonder who is crazy enough to pay that much for a Volvo. They are planning to build 100 of them🤔.

Last edited:
Pretty cool energy going into that. 1800's are very sought after in Volvo circles - perhaps more so the 1800ES, but still. I also never liked the way they handle - the suspension & steering is so antiquated - same as the 544/122 era cars. I always preferred my MGB to the 1800, and that also had antiquated suspension & steering, still handled better IMO.

Personally, I would not want anything based on a 1800. My Volvo C30 had a nod to the ES in the hatch design (they claim), and the V90 is supposed to in some way follow the ES also. I think that's all nostalgia talking, the real die-hard old school Volvo club people don't think anything newer than a 122 is really a Volvo 😜

Hmmm.. that's an unexpected attitude, considering the p1800 is the only nice looking car that Volvo has EVER made.... (Cue the ensuing argument!) I particularly like the 'wagon' version... 😁
What do they have for suspension? I'm sure they can be made to handle, I've seen more than a few at the Vintage race events... To be honest, I'm not sure why I find all the other Volvos unappealing, I actually rather like boxy sedans. My own 128 being one of them. There's just something very sterile, and antiseptic about the Volvo's.. I looks like someone had passion when they designed the P1800... Even the interior is awesome... Plus, I will say that Volvo wins the award for the single worst headrest ever put in a car. It will prevent whiplash, but it won't matter because it will split the back of your head open with it being an open grill design and as hard as a rock...
(Not a P1800)
Rear_Headrests.jpg

P1800
5.jpeg

jeh7nu3te4e61.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm.. that's an unexpected attitude, considering the p1800 is the only nice looking car that Volvo has EVER made.... (Cue the ensuing argument!) I particularly like the 'wagon' version... 😁
What do they have for suspension? I'm sure they can be made to handle, I've seen more than a few at the Vintage race events... To be honest, I'm not sure why I find all the other Volvos unappealing, I actually rather like boxy sedans. My own 128 being one of them. There's just something very sterile, and antiseptic about the Volvo's.. I looks like someone had passion when they designed the P1800... Even the interior is awesome... Plus, I will say that Volvo wins the award for the single worst headrest ever put in a car. It will prevent whiplash, but it won't matter because it will split the back of your head open with it being an open grill design and as hard as a rock...
(Not a P1800)

P1

I like the styling, just not the execution. Basing the chassis on the truck-like Amazon 122 series was not the wisest move. Not that they had anything more sophisticated to base it off though. Volvo didn't start using rack&pinion steering & MacPherson struts until '75, and didn't have IRS until the late 80's...

The earlier 1800's had nicer trim work - accentuated the scalloped side form, and more interesting bumper form (pics off the web)
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 8.34.27 AM.png

The pre-70's dashes were more in keeping with the styling, IMO. A friend has an early 60's example - looks much like this, just LHD. I have worked on it on occasion.
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 8.34.17 AM.png

The ES had funky moldings that ignore the scallop
Volvo-P1800ES-7.jpg

My C30 - purportedly styled to follow the ES. Besides having an unframed hatch & 2 doors I don't see it . The C30 styling & handling (with minor mods) I do really like. It's also a pleasure to drive :)
1099146-2.jpg

I've had several Volvos; 245 GL, 745 GLE, S60 2.5T, and a C30 T5R. I miss the C30, the other ones not so much. But to be honest the wagons did a good job during the time the kids were small.

I've always like wagons in general. But a lot of them (from every manufacturer) were not well styled. In my opinion certain years of Volvo wagons were good looking and others were not. However the ones that I liked also seemed to have issues with the quality of the interior materials. At least in the SoCal (USA) climate.

Back