The size or i.d. of the hose between fuel tank and pump in f.i. X1/9

jydawg

Daily Driver
The starter in my X1/9 started acting up last week. The rescue man with AAA checked my battery, then helped me start the engine by tapping on the solenoid with a long wrench, and told me I needed a new starter. I checked my local alternator/starter shop, they didn't have any. ( They used to.) So I called Allison's Automotive https://allisonsautomotive.com/, and got this some kind of aftermarket starter. The owner said this one was easier to install than the original style unit. That was a good encouragement to me who don't have too much experience.

The new starter makes a scream when it's turned on, and seems to rotate the engine quicker than the original unit, but the new unit seems less taxing on my battery. If you ever needed to clean the (+) post on the unit and the cables to it, it's going to be much easier, and to access this new starter for any reasons, you don't have to remove coolant hoses.
APZa4V9.jpg

To replace the starter, I had to remove the shield under the fuel pump, and it came to me that I have the original hose, between the gas tank and the fuel pump. What is the i.d. of this fuel line? (The car is fuel injected.) Thanks. (Many people talk to me in parking lots and at gas stations about X1/9. At least three different people said they had lost their X1/9s in engine fires.)
https://i.imgur.com/phe52sj.jpg

Speaking of fires, the X1/9 originally came with a big rubber boot that goes over the cable ends and the mounting stud on the starter. You might consider covering up the terminal with electrical tape or something just in case you drop a wrench down there.

You might consider covering up the terminal with electrical tape or something just in case you drop a wrench down there.
A good bit of advice there!
That highly-exposed LIVE connection looks mighty vulnerable to me! All it needs is one touch with a wrench/spanner and SPARKS - AHOY!! :eek:

cheers, IanL - NZ

Yes 12 mm ID. Some have used US size 1/2" (12.7 mm) fuel hose with good clamps, but it would be much better to get 12 mm if you can. Either way it does need to be fuel rated, and should be pressure rated for the 60-ish PSI the pump can put out. Good time to change all fuel hoses that have not been replaced in the last few years (including the injectors, but that is a rather big job).

Dr. Jeff are you sure it has to be pressure rated? This is the feed line to the fuel pump. So, from the tank to the pump it is low pressure. From the pump to/through the injectors and regulator it is high-pressure. In either case, pretty sure Matt at MWB and likely others (Vick, Obert, etc.) can get it for you.

Back