The spare tire cover empty space - why?

tvmaster

True Classic
Anyone know what the empty, bottom-left cutout space is meant for? I’m sure it’s logical, which obviously isn’t how my brain works.
I’m starting to build a replacement cover, and before eliminating said space, thought I’d ask

4FBCF490-965B-4A88-9E33-DEEE96C9AD25.jpeg

C6DD5B39-6447-4C5F-BF53-5D492BB6D74E.jpeg

jimmyx

True Classic
Cover looks to be from a later car with the shoulder belt retractor mount in the cut-out location.

tvmaster

True Classic
Cover looks to be from a later car with the shoulder belt retractor mount in the cut-out location.
That seems logical :) just as long that it’s not there to let the mice escape after eating the insulation…
Actually, it’s never quite sat right in the space, so I think you’ve nailed it. Stitching on the vinyl matches the driver-side though…

Last edited:

jimmyx

True Classic
That seems logical :) just as long that it’s not there to let the mice escape after eating the insulation…
Actually, it’s never quite sat right in the space, so I think you’ve nailed it. Stitching on the vinyl matches the driver said though…
Not sure if the stitching changed over the years, but I don't think so. Possible the later cars differ but someone that has one needs to confirm.