The X comes home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]The X comes home!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 20 1999 at 4:59 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Dr. Steven Doellefeld"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dr. Steven Doellefeld <NOSCRIPT> Dr. Steven Doellefeld </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->It's home, it's home. IT'S HOME!!!!

After 8 weeks, and tons of new parts, I have my x back! Running like a champ!

Thanks for all the support and words of encouragement... you guys saved that car from the crusher!

Now on to a new question - I need to change the cable that holds the front boot latch. I have the new cable, and looke din the manual - it says to remover the latch, and work it out through the hole in the cowl, but I can't seem to get it to fit. DO I need to disassemble the latch further? That seems like a recipe for disaster to me! HELP?!

Oh, and one other thing... anyone have experience changing a steering wheel on an X? Seems straightforward enough, but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? (YEs, I have the appropriate adapter)

Thanks again for all of your help,

STeven<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Woohoo! Finally!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 21 1999, 11:40 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Congrats, Doc! We've been waiting to hear some good news from you about your car. Glad to hear it is running good after all the gyrations you've been through with your mechanic.

So how is it? Are you glad you hung in there? I hope so, if your X is good you will not regret sticking out the tough times! :)

As to the front luggage cable, which manual are you using? If it is the Bertone factory shop manual for the 1500 X, that procedure is the one that works for me - EXCEPT, you can save some effort in installing the new cable by doing it this way: Don't remove the old cable's black sheath! Just pull the old cable (the actual wire) out while leaving the sheath in place. Remove the new cable's wire from its sheath, and slide the new wire in through the old sheath. This greatly simplifies the cable install, and the only time I would remove the entire thing would be if the old cable's black sheath was physically damaged somehow. Otherwise, do it the easy way... but yes, the under-hood latch does need to come out so you can attach the new cable to it (unless you have some tool that can reach the cable nut way under there!)

And the steering wheel: I just took the steering wheel (and the rest of the interior!) off of my '75 yesterday. It is a simple matter of removing the nut that holds the wheel on. This is under the horn button which just pops right off if you pull gently on it. Remove that nut and give a pull. Chances are the wheel will be stuck, in which case I got mine to come loose with a few gentle taps of a hammer on the rear of the wheel as close to center as I could tap. A few gentle hits around the circumfrence of the wheel's backside should set it free. You should not have to hit it hard, just tap around it for a while and it should pop loose. -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Dr. Steven Doellefeld"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dr. Steven Doellefeld <NOSCRIPT> Dr. Steven Doellefeld </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Woo Hoo is right!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 21 1999, 8:05 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Did I mention that I got off the hook with this one pretty cheap (aside from the parts). In addition to all of the install time, he had to replace major parts of the wiring... total bill for labor - $260!

It is now behaving and performing as it should... I just got back from a 100 mile spin, and it ran great! A bit on the load side (carpets are out to patch the floorboards - more on this below).

Did the steering wheel today, and it came out very nice... it's a wooden Grant wheel, and looks much better than the peeling red leather one that was in there before (If anyone wants the old one, let me know... fine shape other than needing to be recovered). Only problem with it is that the horn only works intermittently... I think it is the ground, as it works going around corners, but not in straightaways... some contact must not be touching in the straights.

Also added a K&N filtercharger (the kind that replaces the air filter "can" and bolts directly to my new air flow meter). I can tell a deffinate difference in the mid-RPM torque, as well as the throatier sound throughout the power band.

The last thing I did today was some work on the floorboards. I ground it down and POR-15ed the whole thing (except under the passengers seat - it's stuck in place so I can't access the rear bolts to get it out... anyone have any experience with that?). Most of it was preventative maintenance, but I did need to patch on the center footwell on both sides - the drainage hole had somehow managed to open itself up a bit more than stock (rust - not bad tho). SO I cut out the damaged area and fitted a patch.

Oh - the cable... I managed to get the old one out last night after I posted that message... unfortunately, I took the whole thing out - sleeve and all, and wrestled with the new one today :( I haven't managed to get it through the retainer as of yet... I may take a torch and cut a couple of inches off out the curved pipe that it fits into... it will make for easier access.

Mac - as far as your question, yes, I am using the Bertone manual - my latch is simply too damn big to fit through the "trench" in the cowl... I managed to get the retaining nut off of the wire while it was still in place by using one of the tiny box ratchets meant for side mount battery terminals... worked like a charm! Now if I can just get that new sleeve into place, i'll be all set. (part of that problem is that it needs to be fed from underneath... VERY tight fit for me, and I am doing it mostly by feel... so I am having trouble finding the hole to feel it into).

Next stuff on the list? Undercoating over the POR 15 to dampen noise and vibration in the passenger compartment, a CD player (on the one that's in the car now, the tape deck works, but the radio doesn't) with new speakers (has anyone put 4 in the rear deck? I haven't taken the old ones out, so I don't know if there is enough room); fit and install my new black carpet (the existing on was a lovely red that faded to a ghastly lemonade pink!); either seat covers or get the seat recovered in leather (the latter on if the car turns out to be very reliable), and to start to prep the body for new paint (may not get to that this year... I am finishing the primer on a 51 Plymouth now, and show paint for that will put a dent in my available play money for the cars... I'm sure you all understand how THAT goes :).

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, it's been a long day, and a nice long drive through the country... I'm content, and very pleased to have the car back (let's hope it stays that way! :)

Thanks again for all of the support and words of encouragement!

Steven<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Dr. Steven Doellefeld"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dr. Steven Doellefeld <NOSCRIPT> Dr. Steven Doellefeld </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->whoops!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 21 1999, 8:07 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Read my post after it went up,,, second paragraph should read "Loud" not "load"... my bad :)

S<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Glad you like it!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 22 1999, 4:16 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I had a feeling you would when you finally got it running properly. These cars are a real blast to drive. Despite their shortcomings I believe they are the most fun I've ever had in a little sportscar. Certainly they are more fun to drive than any Fiero, MR2, Pulsar, 914, TR7 or most any other little 2-door I have ever driven. Just my opinion, but I am certainly not alone in feeling this way, and I figured you would like it once you got it going...

Where do you live again? Somewhere back east, right? -Mac.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Yup...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 22 1999, 7:30 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I am a genuine Yankee... born and bred in the lovely 4 seasons of upstate NY (Albany). Great place to live, horrible place to own cars (rust).

Took the X out again today... nearly had a run in with a speeding SUV that wanted to do a "Bigfoot" on me! Scared the crap out of me to say the least!
People who drive SUV's should have to take special courses to learn that they are NOT invincible behind the wheel!

Cheers,

Steven<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Glad to hear you didn't give up!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 8 1999, 11:09 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Steven,

I am interested, did you ever figure out what exactly the problem was with your engine not running well?

Ulix
Yellow '74<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->me too!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 10 1999, 9:38 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I think he said it was several things combined which was ailing the X, but the real turning point seems to have been when he got a new AFM. -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back