There is a Scorpion on eBay right now. Does anyone here own it???

vespaholic

Daily Driver
There is a Scorpion on eBay right now.
Does anyone here own it???
Seller is not responding to messages with questions.
First bid came in minutes after it was listed.
Kinda smells like a scam, but i figured I'd check.
If someone here does own it, reach out to me!

This car should bring $30+K if, IF it’s the “real deal”. Wording sounds like a dealer listing.
I’m puzzled why it’s not listed on BaT too? Speedo photo looks like 44+K miles. Ive
never seen one w/a pile of paperwork like this one! Also puzzling (to me) is the engine
rebuild. Factory single carb? Were HC pistons, hotter cams, etc. installed? Curious …

If you look through the seller's feedback, it appears he/she buys a lot of parts on Ebay. The deal could be legit and this is just not an attentive seller. Car is in Rockford, so a bit outside of my range for a drive by inspection. :) Maybe @bg82x Bob G knows this car?

Nice car! Mostly stock looking, but very little information given. I see a header but no info on the muffler.

I have a couple of questions:
Is that stripe on the side of the car stock?
Is the original brake booster installed?
"The hood ("bonnet") lactch release does not function properly." Is the the frunk or the engine cover?
Wonder what's under the seat covers? Are the seat covers bad, or did the PO just like to sit on sheep?
113K miles, that's a lot for a car of this age. Probably explains why the engine was rebuilt. What about the suspension?

Good questions for the seller, wonder if the seller would respond?

This car should bring $30+K if, IF it’s the “real deal”. Wording sounds like a dealer listing.
I’m puzzled why it’s not listed on BaT too? Speedo photo looks like 44+K miles. Ive
never seen one w/a pile of paperwork like this one! Also puzzling (to me) is the engine
rebuild. Factory single carb? Were HC pistons, hotter cams, etc. installed? Curious …
$30K for a 76 stock Scorpion? The nicer 77s haven't gotten that much on BaT.

How can you list it on both? You can't sell it twice.

It has the Scorpion cams. You can tell by it still having the airpump pulley. Probably lost compression and it was piston job alone. Everything else is besides exhaust is stock with poor effort to remove the emissions they did.

Last edited:
I'm starting to believe it's BS.
ZERO replies to messages through eBay.
Likely being sold by car acquaintance of the original owner who would have been ~72 if my math is correct if still living. Ebay seller has long history, not a scam. Just slow to reply and may not have all your answers anyhow.

Nice car! Mostly stock looking, but very little information given. I see a header but no info on the muffler.

I have a couple of questions:
Is that stripe on the side of the car stock?
Is the original brake booster installed?
"The hood ("bonnet") lactch release does not function properly." Is the the frunk or the engine cover?
Wonder what's under the seat covers? Are the seat covers bad, or did the PO just like to sit on sheep?
113K miles, that's a lot for a car of this age. Probably explains why the engine was rebuilt. What about the suspension?

Good questions for the seller, wonder if the seller would respond?

Have seen this stripe before however perhaps it was on this exact car.

My bet is if they removed the booster they would have kept it and would be included in the pile of trash in the last photo.

Hood bonnet they are referring to hood. Would bet large that the original seats are shot and original suspension (definitely Scorpion springs). Seller is probably not the owner. Possible estate sale of original owner.

Last edited:
. . . fixing that hood/bonnet release is a nightmare. I did it on mine. Fishing
the new wire/cable thru is near impossible. And then adjusting the pull.

I said F all that and did hoodpins as precautionary measure. Keep it lightweight and simple. Usually don't even pin either hood or engine cover down.

Last edited:
Not all guys in their 70s are dead ya know! We just feel that way sometimes.
Didn't say dead. You are forgetting about your Alzheimer's.

I sold a Scorpion for a widow. I had owned it once before that. As I was leaving with it she came out and was kissing its fender crying. Cars are part of us.

. . . she was likely kissing it good riddance. Re-doing the hood release, as I said
is a nightmare. Fishing the cable, adjusting the cable. Immense patience.

Attachments

• 2A0A5942-5D00-4015-BD6C-B0A666215C16.png
    2A0A5942-5D00-4015-BD6C-B0A666215C16.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 1954C6DF-9FBE-4EFD-8822-8308B502EAD3.png
    1954C6DF-9FBE-4EFD-8822-8308B502EAD3.png
    846.6 KB · Views: 58
Installing emergency hand cables is a good plan B to have.

I think when I read it the description that the issue is simply the hood doesn't spring up upon release so you have to dig your fingertips into the crevice to pull it open, not that the cable has failed.

The release latch/handle/paddle only moves like 1/2”. It’s a bitch to adjust
the cable & cowl latches. It can be done but it takes time & again patience.

Regarding the milage comments:

In last pic of the removed bits is the speedo cable junction. And in engine compartment pics no evidence although difficult to see with spare tire carrier partially blocking view, it may no longer have a speedo cable. To ditch the emission counter junction which created a 2 piece speedo cable (long and short segments, the fix when deleting emissions was to swap in a X19 one piece cable. Difficult to say based on those pics but there may be no speedo cable.

Whomever buys it, remove the air pump pulley from the cam.

Why is "mileage" SO important for market value?
Fact and reality is, ALL these motor cars are decades used. ALL parts age and die and need to be replaced at some point. This "mileage" mind set is similar to a "use best by date" which is not true-correct for any motor vehicle.

What would be of far greater real value is actual condition of the motor car with no regards to the mileage reading on the odometer. Motor car that is driven often and properly maintained will always be a far better motor car than one that sits in still storage or trophy pedestal.
As for the value of originality for any Scorpiacarlo... Meh, it is an incomplete design from the start and never really finished even with the Montecarlo series 2... Another abandoned design with vast potential... as illustrated with the Abarth/Lancia versions..

Bernice

I recently replaced the handle and cable for the engine cover on my car. Not hard to do that one. I got the replacement parts used, and the PO of the parts had done the repair before. He/she used a bicycle style cable and sheath to replace the original parts. The old original cable was a PITA - it was stiff enough that I broke the handle trying to open the engine cover :eek:. I think the "cable" (wire) and plastic "sheath" is a very poor design. The "new" cable is MUCH easier to open. I highly recommend replacing the old crappy original sheath with the bicycle style when you start to feel the old one get stiff.
Now - I hope I don't have to do the frunk cable/sheath. If I do I'll try to use the same style cable/sheath I have on the engine cover. :p

Why is "mileage" SO important for market value?
Fact and reality is, ALL these motor cars are decades used. ALL parts age and die and need to be replaced at some point. This "mileage" mind set is similar to a "use best by date" which is not true-correct for any motor vehicle.

What would be of far greater real value is actual condition of the motor car with no regards to the mileage reading on the odometer. Motor car that is driven often and properly maintained will always be a far better motor car than one that sits in still storage or trophy pedestal.
As for the value of originality for any Scorpiacarlo... Meh, it is an incomplete design from the start and never really finished even with the Montecarlo series 2... Another abandoned design with vast potential... as illustrated with the Abarth/Lancia versions..

Bernice
Mileage is an indicator of wear. If you are considering a purchase of a used car, it must be taken into consideration. Yes, I understand that old worn parts can be replaced/refurbished - but at what cost? That's what you need to consider when placing YOUR value on a car. The purchase price of the car, plus the cost to make it the car you want it to be. Cost of both the parts, and labor (time), to make the car the one you want.

As to value - there are two ways to look at it. One is resale value (very common) and not too difficult to determine based on recent comps. The other way to value a car is much more personal. It's what a buyer is willing to pay. Sometime that value is difficult for other, non interested people, to understand. Sometimes there are sentimental reasons, other times it's just a "personal" desire to own the car. Those aren't rational reasons, so again, it's difficult for some folks to understand.

Back