Thermostat hose size

Alex(Tenerife)

True Classic
While my car is off at the body shop, I am planning to change and move the header tank to the rear boot for space.

While I collect parts, does anyone know the ID of the pipe that goes from the bottom of the head tank to the thermostat?

The goal is to get the air filter in and close to the right hand side air scoop :)

Many thanks

Alex

While my car is off at the body shop, I am planning to change and move the header tank to the rear boot for space.

While I collect parts, does anyone know the ID of the pipe that goes from the bottom of the head tank to the thermostat?

The goal is to get the air filter in and close to the right hand side air scoop :)

Many thanks

Alex
I assume you mean left hand air scoop (passenger or off side to you :) )

Have you considered going to the FI air filter and its housing? It is huge, low restriction and moving the intake opening to be closer to the air scoop with a larger opening would be pretty simple.

No changes to plumbing and puts it nicely in the back corner.

I have an uno turbo engine, and it's pretty busy in the engine bay now (I accidentally bought an enormous air/water charge cooler which takes up a lot of space)

So the way the AFM is placed, as it is there is no room for an air filter.

So my thought is to change and move the header tank, This is the one I am thinking of header tank and it will go on the panel between engine bay and rear boot, on the side of the boot. Output from both the turbo and the heater go into the tank and out from the tank into the thermostat housing. This is how its set up now all I am doing is moving the tank. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the hose to the thermostat is 18mm as that is what comes out of this tank.

Then put a 45 degree pipe/hose and aim the AFM at the left hand vent and there should then be space for a nice air filter, right next to a cold air intake.

Well that is the plan.

It is my understanding that on the UnoTurbo the turbo's coolant return hose should not be "tee'd" with the other coolant hose entering the top of the tank. The reason I was given is the turbo coolant needs a very direct, easy path to the tank so it can continue to circulate after the engine is shut down. Likewise it is important what height the tank and hose fittings are mounted so the coolant can flow on its own (@kmead, please remind me the proper term for that type of self-circulation due to heat deltas).

I'm not saying you haven't considered this, only mentioning it to try and help with the layout. I've done the same by mounting the overflow tank in the trunk on a turbo 1500 build. I happened to have a aluminum overflow tank but needed to weld a second bung onto the top of the tank for the turbo coolant hose.

I'm not sure but I think the hose is smaller than 18mm. I don't have access to mine at the moment to measure it.

It is my understanding that on the UnoTurbo the turbo's coolant return hose should not be "tee'd" with the other coolant hose entering the top of the tank. The reason I was given is the turbo coolant needs a very direct, easy path to the tank so it can continue to circulate after the engine is shut down. Likewise it is important what height the tank and hose fittings are mounted so the coolant can flow on its own (@kmead, please remind me the proper term for that type of self-circulation due to heat deltas).

I'm not saying you haven't considered this, only mentioning it to try and help with the layout. I've done the same by mounting the overflow tank in the trunk on a turbo 1500 build. I happened to have a aluminum overflow tank but needed to weld a second bung onto the top of the tank for the turbo coolant hose.

I'm not sure but I think the hose is smaller than 18mm. I don't have access to mine at the moment to measure it.
The term you are seeking is ‘thermo siphon’ :)

Last edited:

Yep thanks for the info, short answer yes I am planning to get an additional 16mm fitting welded on for the turbo outlet.

I found the answers in an old post from Dr Jeff. Thanks

There are two sizes of hose between the T-stat housing and overflow tank. One is 12mm (actually smaller than 1/2"). And the other is 16mm (actually larger than 5/8"). Same with all heater hoses, not exactly 5/8" but 16mm.

I found the answers in an old post from Dr Jeff. Thanks

There are two sizes of hose between the T-stat housing and overflow tank. One is 12mm (actually smaller than 1/2"). And the other is 16mm (actually larger than 5/8"). Same with all heater hoses, not exactly 5/8" but 16mm.
Ha-ha, I don't even remember that. Sucks getting old. o_O

I assume you mean left hand air scoop (passenger or off side to you :) )

Have you considered going to the FI air filter and its housing? It is huge, low restriction and moving the intake opening to be closer to the air scoop with a larger opening would be pretty simple.

No changes to plumbing and puts it nicely in the back corner.

Hard to see from the pictures but looks like quite a narrow pipe coming out of the filter bow. What diameter is that?

Hard to see from the pictures but looks like quite a narrow pipe coming out of the filter bow. What diameter is that?
The diameter of the elbow is equal to the diameter of the intake hose and throttle plate on a FI car. The intake which is clocked away from the cold air intake is an oval with similar open surface area to the elbow. I will go out in the garage later today and measure it.

The air filter is at least the diameter of the cone filters base and twice the overall height, it has much more surface area than a cone filter and will not create a restriction. One could modify the body to increase the oval intake area and the mounts to reclock it to the side grill, vent opening..

Going to these silly, poor filtering, ‘high’ performance cone filters is the biggest scam foisted on performance car owners ever given they have convinced people they are ‘better’. A filter is to keep as much dirt out of an engine as possible to reduce wear and not impede intake air flow, a quality filter will do both of those things, they are big for a reason.

Last edited:
Back