Thinking about an 850 Coupe

ecohen2

True Classic
Hey Everyone,

I think I found a rust free Fiat 850 Coupe that seems to be in good shape. The seller is a bit slow responding and even slower posting photos so I am trying to minimize the number of questions before I either fly out and take a look at it or roll the dice and buy it sight unseen...

The engine was recently rebuilt, it has a couple of known issues like the main headlights, heat, horn all do not work. None of those are show stoppers for me..

If you had three questions to ask a seller about an 850 Coupe, what would they be?

Thanks for your input!

Seller says no Rust... Or rust... and he is pretty sure it doesn't have rust either...

Rust really is the one thing I am not comfortable dealing with, so I did ask about that early on...

Ed and I were discussing this coupe and an interesting question was raised. The spiders were notorious for the frame X member rusting terminally. The under body shots of this coupe didn't show the X member, was it not on the coupe?

Ed - if you are also looking for an 850 Coupe I have one of those also, or rather the immensely more powerful 850 Sport Coupe!
IMG_5902.jpeg
IMG_4188.jpeg
IMG_7301.jpeg

Ed and I were discussing this coupe and an interesting question was raised. The spiders were notorious for the frame X member rusting terminally. The under body shots of this coupe didn't show the X member, was it not on the coupe?
Coupes and sedans did not have the X brace as the roof provided structural rigidity.

Hey I feel stereotyped 😂 but since I drive older F250s I guess I’m ok. Yes I have a strange collection. 3 Italians and 5 Ford trucks.

Hey Everyone,

I think I found a rust free Fiat 850 Coupe that seems to be in good shape. The seller is a bit slow responding and even slower posting photos so I am trying to minimize the number of questions before I either fly out and take a look at it or roll the dice and buy it sight unseen...

The engine was recently rebuilt, it has a couple of known issues like the main headlights, heat, horn all do not work. None of those are show stoppers for me..

If you had three questions to ask a seller about an 850 Coupe, what would they be?

Thanks for your input!
1) Are you the original owner?
2) Have you performed the C service which is due?
3) Why have you decided to sell it?

<try to compare the seller's answers to the likely reality which is: >
Rust at the bottom of spare tire well, rust under battery box, rust where the heater box attaches to the unit body, rust on the floors.

1) Are you the original owner?
2) Have you performed the C service which is due?
3) Why have you decided to sell it?

<try to compare the seller's answers to the likely reality which is: >
Rust at the bottom of spare tire well, rust under battery box, rust where the heater box attaches to the unit body, rust on the floors.

You forgot rust in the door jambs just under the door hinges.

Back