Thinking about selling original 77 Orange X 1/9

bossman

Daily Driver
I picked up a 77 X 1/9 (burnt orange) on an auction and have invested some money into and am not sure I want to wrap up the project. It is a very original 77 (28K miles on the old oil change sticker) that was stored in California until last year. The fuel system and brakes have all been sorted out, and I just got the seats reupolstered to look original and the carpets replaced. The only rust on the car was under the battery and some surface rust under the mat in the front trunk compartment. Both of those have been taken care off. I picked up and refinished some Iron Cross wheels and new rubber (185x60x13), but I have the original steel wheels (need refinishing) and original tires.

What needs to be done to finish it?

The water pump is leaking and obviously the original timing belt need to be replaced. I have flushed all the way through the system and have pump, hoses and belts to do the job, just not an economical way to do the labor on a vintage, working air conditioned, California car. This is a 1977 version without the access port.... My problem is a time, space and ability issue.

The other issue is that there are some small garage storage box dents in the car that need to dimpled out and a respray on the outside skin of the car to make it look original. I have done mechanical work before, but I don't consider myself good with body work and paint spraying enough to do a quality job on this car.

As far as parts missing or needing replaced, one corner rubber block is cracked on the bumper, so that is another $87 from Bayless.

So it looks like I would need two additional professional jobs that need to bring this car back to its original shape.

Based on the values of the X 1/9 s that I have seen, it appears that these two professional jobs would put me completley out of the ball park on value of the car.

I already have two vintage cars including an Alfa, so I am limited on storage space (and additional harassment from my spouse), so I am considering selling it "as is" with all the parts.

I have the feeling that this car could be a very good value if the new owner could do the pump and timing belt work himself and had a reasonable opportunity to respray. Obviously, there are some financial losses involved for me, but there are not many of these in this original condition cars available especially on the East Coast.

I know.....no pictures. I am just at the office and looking for ideas......

sounds like a good candidate for someone, does it run even with the leaking water pump? I get up to VA on business at the end of the month and might be interested.

Do I need another '77?

Where are you located? Against my better judgement, I might be interested....I'm in Centreville.

Yes it does run. I actually gave the go ahead this morning to Gildo to do the water pump and timing belt $$$. Sounds like a 77 with air is very rare.

Back