Thinking of installing a performance header......

79X19

True Classic
I am thinking about obtaining headers from Vics. It requires a cat delete. I live in MA and am concerned about emissions testing. I have done some research and found the following:

• The law allows the environmental protection commissioner to adopt regulations exempting certain motor vehicles from some or all of the inspection requirements. It specifically states that certain types of vehicles may be exempt from the statutory inspection requirements and “may require alternate test procedures.” Any vehicle the model year of which is 15 years before the year in which the inspection occurs in one of the possible exempt categories (111 M.G.L.A. § 142M(c)). This appears to be the only reference to older vehicles in the Massachusetts statutes.
  • The program regulations contain two exemptions that are based on vehicle age. The two exemptions are for (1) any vehicle with a model year earlier than 1984 and (2) any new vehicle for up to 24 months from the date of registration after sale or lease to its ultimate purchaser (310 CMR 60.02(3)(b)). This means that 1983 and older vehicles are not subject to emissions testing.

It appears that I am in the clear for a cat delete unless "Alternate test procedures" come into play. Has anyone else encountered this and what have you don to your exhaust as a work around?

Id hate to buy this and then need to modify it to include the cat.....

fiat_parts_27-6919.JPG

I suggest you directly contact a MA inspector an ask for clarification. That is the only way to find out the rules before you buy.

Here in Missouri, we have a 25 year rolling exemption on emissions testing. I have the old style Vick's headers (before they offered the adapter) on two of my exempt Xs. It is a good header and in both cars I have connected it to the stock muffler. This is a picture of the 78X tail end.
exhaust_2.JPG

I lived in MA up until 3 years ago and while my 87X always had to pass safety inspection, it did not get emission inspection when it turned 15 years old. I am not a state official, but the only exemption I was told about was if smoke was coming out of the tail pipe. Here is the Mass DMV info:

Exemptions for MA Emissions Inspections

All vehicles must pass the safety inspection every year, but some vehicles are not required to complete an emissions test.

The following vehicles are exempt from emissions testing:

• Diesel vehicles less than 8,500 lbs. that were manufactured before 2003 and/or are over 15 years old.
  • Diesel vehicles weighing up to 10,000 lbs. that were manufactured before 2007 and/or are over 15 years old.
  • Non-diesel medium duty vehicles that were manufactured before 2008 and/or are more than 15 years old.
  • Motorcycles and mopeds.
  • Military vehicles.
  • Electric powered vehicles.
Passenger vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs) manufactured before 2003 do not get a tailpipe emissions test, but must undergo the OBD test, if applicable. However, vehicles can fail a safety test if there is smoke coming from their tailpipe.

Isn't that adapter shown in the pic meant to connect the header to a stock cat and stock exhaust?
You could always go that route.

What I don't know is if there is a difference between a carb cat (which I assume you have) and a FI cat and which of the two the header fits.

In Virginia we have a rolling 20 year exemption from emissions testing. However, my understanding is if an official or cop were to notice the cat was missing on visual inspection they can fail you. I always put my Fiats on classic car tags which means no emissions or safety inspection so other than getting pulled over for speeding, no one will know what my car has or doesn't have (for example, at one point no lights, no horn no wipers......).

Isn't that adapter shown in the pic meant to connect the header to a stock cat and stock exhaust?
You could always go that route.

What I don't know is if there is a difference between a carb cat (which I assume you have) and a FI cat and which of the two the header fits.

Hi Ulix,

This Vick's header is a "cat delete" item. On my Xs (78,85), I have it installed with the stock muffler from both cars. So I guess the muffler's flange stayed the same over the years.

The Vick's header description has this sentence: "*Note: May not be legal for street use in your state - check your local requirements. Does not allow for converter bolts directly to the muffler.*"

Kevin - my experience matches Joe's. I have four cars older than 15 years, and they only get safety inspections. None had obvious emmissions issues (e.g. smoking exhaust). One is an X with a header and dual webber carbs. I have also seen quite a variation in how aggressively different garages look for problems, so you can use that to your advantage.

Paul

Kevin - my experience matches Joe's. I have four cars older than 15 years, and they only get safety inspections. None had obvious emmissions issues (e.g. smoking exhaust). One is an X with a header and dual webber carbs. I have also seen quite a variation in how aggressively different garages look for problems, so you can use that to your advantage.

Paul

We used to be able to "garage shop" here in MO many years ago. Now, if you own a car that requires emissions testing, it is much harder to evade. The new testing regimen requires the car to be photographed while hooked to the test equipment. They also take other photos including the VIN tag. The photos are digitally attached to the test results and the results follow the car from shop to shop if you try another location.

Sigh. I can remember the good old days. I took my wrecked VW GTI into a "good" garage because it needed state inspections for new plates before I could get it into the body. The mechanic looked at the car and said "You getting all this fixed... right?" I told him it was going into the shop in 2 weeks. He said OK and passed the car. I said, it needs emissions too. He looked at the tailpipe and said "it seems to be emitting" and checked it off the form. Makes you wonder why the state cracked down. :)

Paul,
Thanks for the feedback. As well as all others who responded. I am more confident to more forward with the Header purchase!
Kevin

Paul,
Thanks for the feedback. As well as all others who responded. I am more confident to more forward with the Header purchase!
Kevin

Yep. Sounds like you won't have any issues. Good luck with your project!

Just to throw in my $.02 from PA. When I purchased my car it did not have a Cat. When I took it in for inspection/emission it still had to pass a "Visual" exam, despite it's age. It was very clear that there was no Cat visually and I ended up having to throw one in to pass. Boy did that quiet things down though.

Just to throw in my $.02 from PA. When I purchased my car it did not have a Cat. When I took it in for inspection/emission it still had to pass a "Visual" exam, despite it's age. It was very clear that there was no Cat visually and I ended up having to throw one in to pass. Boy did that quiet things down though.
What part of PA are you from? Just get Antique tags an avoid all,that mess.

New Cumberland/Harrisburg area. I drive my X almost daily, thought PA rules were pretty strict on Antiques not driving at night and only once per week.
Tough area for you I suppose. Not so many cops in our area, not my daily driver either.

Back