This weekend's projects...

budgetzagato

Administrator
I've got 2 non-X vehicle to oil change, and a new thermostat for the X.

Over the last year or so I've noticed the X takes a lot longer to warm up than it used to, and the mileage has gone down some. So I got a thermostat and gasket from Obert (I've got the housing gasket) and will attempt the swap sometime this weekend. While it's out I'll flush the radiator and heater core circuits (with hot water via the mop sink faucet) and refill with new Sierra® phosphate-free coolant. Starting to sound like work!

Also, has anyone removed their seat upholstery and run it through the wash? Mine's looking pretty dirty, one of the P.O.'s was a smoker I think. It's supposed to be gray not golden brown around the edges.

Dry clean the seats?

Hi Gregory,

I would be cautious about tossing the seat fabric into the washer. I am not sure how the fabric would hold up and even the tiniest amount of shrinking would be a nightmare for getting them back on. Maybe taking them to a dry cleaner would be better? I have never tried either method, just thought
I would throw that idea out there. :)

Good point - I'd be careful about being too aggressive with the wash cycle and let it air dry. I've found (in SoCal anyway) that having new custom upholstery made is pretty affordable, so maybe that is worth considering too.

I rented a RugDoctor with the hand-attachment to do mine a few years back. I went over once with cleaning fluid, then a second time with plain water to rinse out the cleaning fluid. Finally I went over each seat thoroughly without spraying any fluid to get out as much water as possible. I had the door cards out at the time and cleaned them the same way.

I just dodged a bullet!!!,

I was a little over mileage with the oil change. The plan was to get it done today (Saturday). But...just a few days ago I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground. I thought I would just investigate it during the oil change. Surprise! The oil filter was loose. I don't know what held it on, but it didn't fail during driving. Anyway, fresh oil and filter accomplished. The X is happy.

3/4 isn't too bad.

I got the Vanagon and Dr. Wifey's 320i oil changed, and the X thermostat and coolant changed. Didn't quite get to my 4th project.

The thermostat was a PITA, and no it seems you really can't do it without taking the housing off the head. The replacement I got fit well, and allows the engine to warm up in a couple of minutes. Once at temp it stabilized and the fans cycled. Overall very pleased.

Get:

21tCnfViKqL.jpg

go to local quarter car wash. Spray on, let soak for 10 - 15 min. Use wet/dry vac at car wash to vacuum out the interior. Take a beack towel to set on on the ride home.

even gets GA red clay mud out of grey Isuzu Trooper cloth seats and carpet.

Ha ha...

I wasn't even thinking of the seats, I wanted to get some stove pipe for the outdoor pizza oven I'm building:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1647156102705.2097240.1350997729&l=2ab6cc7131

I have some hand cleaner wipes I'll try first. But before I get to that I want to drive it some to test the new thermostat. The worst part of the job was stooping over the side of the engine bay for hours, next time I'll follow my own advice and put it up on ramps for better ergonomics. :sigh: That and the various stuck original (!) hose clamps. Time for some new hose clamps, hoses, etc.

Back