Thoughts on a color change

dnudelman

True Classic
New owner of 850 coupe in that 70's era yellow/orange. Will need rust repair, bodywork and paint. Would a color change greatly reduce the potential value? What colors in your opinions look particularly good on a 71 850 Coupe?
Thanks
David

I happen to like the Postiano yellow which is kind of mustard color. Coupes also look good in Fiat blue.
As to value (if there is any in an 850) a lot depends on how the color change is done.. will it be a bare shell repaint?

An 850 SC in excellent shape will likely sell in the 12-15k range in the US. These cars are getting to be Ferrari rare in the US and relatively rare in the EU.

Although it is best to repaint in the original color, in this case Positano Yellow, there were a nice range of colors available at the time to choose from. I would stay away from metallics, I have never seen an OE metallic SC as Fiat didn’t offer many metallics in the early 70s.

Do a search for vintage Fiat colors/paints to see what was available.

These are some of the color cards showing some of them colors sold on the cars, not accurate to all markets and questionable color correction but its a start. They look excellent in Red and Blue. Very nice in White (a lot of the Abarths were in white). Do a search for Fiat 850 Sport Coupe and have a look at the colors. I am very partial to my blue car, there is another member here who has a blue car which has been pretty modified and looks great.
A2819BBE-88B9-4648-8D31-1FDAE5EBC3AE.jpeg
D035011F-1877-4236-AB22-0A67CDA34EFB.jpeg

An 850 SC in excellent shape will likely sell in the 12-15k range in the US. These cars are getting to be Ferrari rare in the US and relatively rare in the EU.
I had no idea.

If they are indeed getting valuable, then retaining the original color and completely stock (i.e. originality as a whole) will be the safest bet - resale wise. If resale is your intent. I've never bought any vehicle with the intent of flipping it, and do not care about originality, so I change colors to suit my personal taste/desire. But I completely understand that is not for everyone. However if you decide to do a color change, be aware that to do it right (or even half right) is a lot more work than retaining the old color. There are a lot of non obvious areas where the old color will show and are difficult to get to for proper prep and respray. As far as color choice, clearly it is a personal thing. Basic white may sound a bit boring but is a very safe choice for any car.

I guess valuable is a relative term. Are they going up? Sure but a home mechanic doing all (including paint and body work) the work himself would probably barely be able to restore an 850 for $12k.
As Dr Jeff said color is a personal choice and I don’t think Original color or not will change the value enough to matter, so choose what you like.

Thanks for the input. Resale is a very very small consideration. I have sold very few "collector" cars and regret selling those I did. I just kinda hate Baby Shiite yellow.

I just kinda hate Baby Shiite yellow
Back when Opel's were German made I had a few. One of my favorites was a wagon (I love odd stuff) that was pristine. Unfortunately it was a similar baby poop color. But being all original paint in remarkable condition I just polished it and lived with it. Ha, that reminds me of an expression I used to hear back in my corporate Aerospace days, about the constant redesigns we did for the space shuttle to fix issues - "polishing a turd".

Given all you have in front of you with that car, I wouldn’t hesitate to change the color. Just change all of it rather than the parts you see with the lids and doors closed...

It would be nice to see some pics of the car as it sits now.

Thanks for the input. Resale is a very very small consideration. I have sold very few "collector" cars and regret selling those I did. I just kinda hate Baby Shiite yellow.

Some people have no taste...you will regret changing the color when there is a special class at Pebble Beach for the coupe’s century in 2065!

Positano rules!

I would have to live to 104 to see it...
Correction, you would have to live to 104, AND still be cognizant enough of what is going on to attend the show, AND your 25 year old girlfriend would have to drive the car there for you. But of course she had already sold it to buy a pair of shoes, so it still wouldn't happen. Besides, by then your under shorts will be Positano color (on the inside) and you will not want to see the same color anywhere else.

Back when we were vintage racing in the 80's, Flaviaman was always very slow.

Kind Sir, I have video of you at Westwood doing your best imitation of a Ballerina....and I cannot remember your Kelvinator White rebodied 600 winning the car of the year trophy from SOVERN as my
Bellissima Bertone bodied Giulietta Sprint did...

Re baby diapers: as a life long bachelor I have avoided those and instead concentrated on rusty Italian cars...I am sorry to hear of your prior experiences....there are ways to prevent such occurrences.

Long live Positano Giallo, I am now going to find an episode of either Ironside or else The Mod Squad “one white, one black, one blonde”....Peggy Lipton...be still my beating heart....

Re baby diapers: as a life long bachelor I have avoided those and instead concentrated on rusty Italian cars.
I am also a lifelong bachelor, but do know what a baby diaper looks like inside. And I have to say you are correct, a rusty Italian car does indeed look like one. :D

I have always used 'appliance white' as my base color. Easy to get, least expensive color, easy to spray and match later, and you can put any sort of graphics you want over it (stripes, two-tones, logos, pinstripes, race numbers, sponsor stickers, etc). Call it "Abarth white" and your car will go faster.

Back