Thoughts on mirror?

moretti124guy

Daily Driver
Thoughts on these mirrors for a X.

These come in chrome or in a paintable grey color. What do you think? Mounted on the door. I can get them for a great deal because, well the company I work for makes them. I was thinking about the grey ones and painting them body color, but I am also looking at some vintage Ferrari Mirrors that are kind of like the Abarth mirrors used in the 60's & 70's. Anyone running a bullet mirror?

EXT-657-20220SMALL.jpg

EXT-657-568-1.jpg

Not to my liking, but who cares what other people think, it's your car. Personally, I would opt to paint them semi-gloss black, then again I'm not a big fan of chrome.

Those mirrors are for a 1965-1967 Shelby Mustang we make reproduction parts for classic Fords mostly, but I have access to a number of shops tools. Does any know if someone has made a gated shifter for the X?

To tell you the truth...

I'm not sure a shift gate on the X1/9 would even be possible. The shift lever doesn't move that much, left to right. Possibly not even the diameter of the shift lever... I'd be interested in seeing it if someone has done it tho.

I pretty much can't tell from looking at mine if it's in 1st, 3rd, or 5th (or 2nd, 4th, R).

Pete

Mike... as Angelo stated...

Do what YOU like first... If yur gonna build a car for the masses, you'll only get 10,000 different OPINIONS!

I prefer FUNCTION over FORM, first... and think that these mirrors would probably mount too LOW on the door, especially on the RH side, and therefore would not be the best to use. FLAG MIRRORS, that mount UP and OUT, kinda like the Vitalionis (sp?) that came stock around 79 or so... do work BETTER, IMHO, for a clearer view.

Later, the factory mounted the side mirrors THROUGH the wind-wing for a better view...

Anyway... at Auto Zone I found a pair flag mirrors for a small Ford Pick-up... which has a SLAB side that is similarly vertical like our cars... (this is IMPORTANT... as some mounts will not work on the VERTICAL portion of the door...) and pops the mirror up in full view like the Vitalioni's. Cost was about 38 bucks a pair, they mount beautifully, little-to-no vibration, and IMHO, look RIGHT as well as perform RIGHT.

I also don't know or care if anyone else "likes" them or not... they work great for me and fit my wallet perfectly also.

Your turn! Have fun!

hehehhe

I got nice mirrors ( i like them ) , needless to say I cannot see anything in them , i drive with like no mirrors.

DSC04728.jpg

DSC04727.jpg

Reminds me of Raul Julia in "Gumball Rally" when he...

... tears off the rear-view mirror in a Ferrari 308 (I think), and says something like... "What's behind us is not our concern..."

HAHAHA!

Is your X getting a lot of attention in Romania Ovi?

You sure did an amazing amount of work on it. Looking good. How did the motor work out for you. Hope your getting lots of use out of it.

hmmm

You sure did an amazing amount of work on it. Looking good. How did the motor work out for you. Hope your getting lots of use out of it.

Is a very rare car here, so yes, almost everybody look after it .
Engine is great, I think is too great ! I mean , every time i drive the X on the road, I am really afraid of an accident, only the mthbusters make me feel a little safe when they crash that X beetween 2 trucks.
Hopefully this year will be completly finished and fully functional.

What about a Vitaloni...

What about a Vitaloni California Mirror. That's a period mirror and came on a lot of hot cars like the Lancia Scorpion.

1.jpg

I have been looking at that mirror as well, it looks great, I think it will depend on what I end up doing with the car, restore or restomod. What mirror was stock? My car has two sets of holes so someone changed them to the current flag shaped metal mirrors. My car is a 74 and all the facotory photos I found show no outside mirrors.

Hi Mike,

Just wondering what the dynamic is for a company such as yours deciding what parts to repro?

There's not enough of a potential market to justify making a line of repro X1/9 parts, but do you think they might consider a limited run of one or two items within their specialty, which I might guess is injection molding?

Stick with rectangular mirror...

...round ones ok on rounded car.
X is all flat panels and angles.
Therefore, flat panel and angles in trim are harmonious with basic design.
Same with wheels...rounded spoke panasports
and daisy/clover leaf shapes just don't work as well as angular wheels.
IMHO.

Well we look at the overall market for each item, we also look at what cross marketing we can do for that item. Such as the Mirror that is our number one item for the last five years, it was originally only a dealer installed option on the standard Mustang, however, because of its style lots of guys build GT350 replicas and want that look. Also we market it to classic British car parts suppliers, because it is a period correct mirror for the 1960's. Other parts we weigh the cost of manufacturing them and how long we project it will take to sell them. Like a shifter for a 1962-1964 Galaxie 500 4 speed.

We do do contract manufacturing, and do everything from injection molded plastic, zinc die casting, aluminum cnc parts, steel products like chromed shifter levelers and cross members, plastic emblems (i.e. center caps, mustang gas caps)

You would be surprised some of the products we make you would not expect a market for, plastic clips, to cast aluminum wheels that were offered on one year Shelby.

Nice mirrors...

I am getting ready to buy a pair myself. Any chance you could get me a good deal on them? :) I plan to mount those mirrors on my 68 Mustang Fastback.
n1253028430_335927_4955644.jpg

Brett

Wow Brett very friggin nice !!!

:eyepop::excited:I thought you were working on a 600 resto? Man please update the FB progress in the NFC section. What's the motor you have planned? Greg

A man of good taste I have the 74 X 1/9 and a RHD Classic MINI, as well as other projects in storage waiting for more time and money.

e-mail me at michael*calponycars.com or give me a call at 909-923-2804.

Well...

I am in the middle of a 600 resto as well. I have both going at the same time. Crazy I know. I am taking advantage of opportunities that have come up and this has gotten me into both cars at once. Right now, the 600 is waiting and I plan to work on the Stang for a little while. I have most of the parts gathered for the 600 so that is going to be a summer project. The Mustang is not a total resto so it should be easier to get running. I will call you later on my way home.
thanks
Brett

Back