Three-wheeled X

autox19

True Classic
I thought the title would catch peoples attention. but it isnt the 3-wheeled motorcycle with the exie rear end.
As with most things X, towing the X to my friends house to start putting the rebuilt Honda engine in was not smooth. It started ok. but about 1/2 mile from his road we lost the rear wheel. In the dark, on a busy road with alot of brush on the sides. We actually found 2 studs (with the shouldered bolts still on) about 100 yards from where we pulled over. meaning the wheel was between there and where the car is. after about 1.5 hours searching with a spotlight, I caught the glimmer of the chrome. thank goodness it landed outside up. we would not have seen it if it was laying the other way as it is solid black. both of the studs were striped so we robbed 2 off of 2 other wheels. then we found the metal from the striped bolts were in the the hub threads. We got one stud to go in, but being lugcentric rims, it wasnt pretty. I cop helped us with traffic and we babied it to 3 houses down (Dale, my BEST friend and mechanic) knew the guy and we parked it there til he had a chance to run there Friday morn with a tap set.

so back to serpent auto to order studs. We figured out that the studs were not all they way on as they appeared and spun out. What Dale suggested is we check the other studs and put a small spot weld to hold them in (that can be easily ground off if needed.

the new gaol to get it completed now that winter is setting in, will be FFO next summer. Plenty of time to replace parts (get ready Matt, I am sure there will be alot of ordering!!)

here are pics of it BEFORE it OOOPS. (taken with my phone at low light, but as I have learned from this forum, bad pics are better then no pics ;)

tow1_1.jpg

tow2_2.jpg

tow3_3.jpg

Odie

Last edited:
Sounds like fun...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I've lost a wheel underway, but not towing. Glad you found it.

Those wheels look like the ones that came on my 850 Spider... miss that car... :sigh:

damage

came off clean, didnt hurt the body which shocked me. I have seen cars that loose wheels and the usually beat up the fender/quarter panel. rim appears ok but I will have to look closer. its hard to tell with it lug centric. missing the wheel spacer (time for thinker ones?). brake caliper came unattached so lost the shims (also time to replace the lines with braided?). bottom bolt and nut that holds the hub assembly is ground down a little. I will probably replace that as well.
With no engine in it, it sits high so nothing else got damaged. (except my pride)

On the good note, it towed with the HarborFreight towbar like a gem. Dale said if it wasnt for the sparks, he couldnt even tell it happened, pulling wise.

Odie

new temp home

first pic is of the damage. others are new temporary home during surgery. there we almost finished the back wall after I took this pic. the front wall/door is next
oops1.jpg

leanto1.jpg

leanto2.jpg

leanto3.jpg

odie

Back