Three X1/9s for $500

Huey

True Classic
I have no connection to the seller but I found this on Craigslist and it seems like an excellent deal for someone. Located in Lancaster, PA.

Three cars in various states of disrepair, all for $500 OBO. Must be extracted from their natural habitat. All have titles!!

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/pts/d/fiat-bertone-1-9-mid-engine/6698508196.html

If anybody is interested, I have a trailer with a winch and can help extract. (@carl I have a much better winch now :p)

Wasn't someone looking for a steering wheel? ;)

Seriously though, the one parked inside might be OK. Although I can smell the mouse poop right thru the computer screen. Given the bumpers, the single driver's side view mirror, the fact that the engine cover isn't slab sided, my guess is it is a 1980. I wish I could see the trunk badge to determine if it is carb or FI.

I guess $500 or less is a cheap way for the seller to get the cars moved off his property... if he can find someone willing to do the work to get the one "possibly" decent car.

If I had a place to store them, I would take them just to salvage all of the good parts. He does say to make offers so you could end up getting them for free depending on how badly he wants them gone.

OK, here is the deal. The Tres Amigos, me Todd and Ed were fishing for them and we made a full cash offer. However, we do not have the wherewithal to extract and haul them. We do have a place to store them. I have been talking to the owner and he needs to get the two field cars gone by Oct. 1st. I made the offer with the proviso that he would have to get them to our storage area and we would pay for that. He really has no ready access to any towing but he would look into it. He has had several offers on just one or two cars but he insists all three be taken. And no, we would not be upset if someone else ends up getting them. Our plan was to store them and part out as needed.

By the way, I did not intend my post above to scare anyone off from trying to get these cars, more power to you if you do. Alternative, if you can figure a way to get involved with transportation of these cars to our secret hiding place (just kidding) just shoot me a private message and we could work out a deal.

OK, here is the deal. The Tres Amigos, me Todd and Ed were fishing for them and we made a full cash offer. However, we do not have the wherewithal to extract and haul them. We do have a place to store them. I have been talking to the owner and he needs to get the two field cars gone by Oct. 1st. I made the offer with the proviso that he would have to get them to our storage area and we would pay for that. He really has no ready access to any towing but he would look into it. He has had several offers on just one or two cars but he insists all three be taken. And no, we would not be upset if someone else ends up getting them. Our plan was to store them and part out as needed.

I can help you extract and haul them.

This is the ad with a few pics.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/pts/d/fiat-bertone-1-9-mid-engine/6698508196.html

I don't think there is much to get excited about with any of them.

carl,

I am pretty sure Kevin wants pictures of the rescue mission, not necessarily the cars. Rescue missions always produce memorable photos. It's for the memories carl, we want you to preserve the memories.

For example:
smokin2_77.JPG
The dude with the torch is the seller's son and was "helping" us. He set the car on fire at least 3 times. I just wanted the wheels, so.... :cool:

Ah! Old guys standing around in muddy field trying to trailer up cars that have locked brakes and rotten tires, who wouldn't want to see pictures of that.
The problem here is we are all, including Huey, hours away from the cars' current location and they would need to be hauled an hour or more to their new location. None of us have seen the cars in person or their actual condition. A guy with a three car trailer and a strong winch with a long chain who would grab and haul for $400 is the only person who is going to make this happen. If I saw a sad car with those wheels I'd move heaven and earth to grab it too. The current owner is highly motivated because he has to have the cars removed by October 1. Even if the cars were free I'm not sure how many folks would want to haul them all...and at $500 selling price they are for all intents and purposes free.

I have had arrangements in the last three years to have three Xs towed to my house, one by a buddy who helped me go to Richmond Va to haul the ITC racer home, the same friend who sold me his Bertone parts car that is now the rat X and a friend's son who sold me the white 77 and was so desperate to get it moved from his storage space in DC that HE paid the roll back driver to deliver it to me.

Yes, good 'ol Todd would do anything to get this sad car away from his harboring of it and agreed to trailer this totally nasty looking body to my house. It was Halloween with my neighbor hosting a neighborhood party as he rolls up to my house and then tries to impress everyone with his backing up with a trailer skills...which he actually pulled off pretty well. The beered up neighbors were probably trying to decide if they should contact the head of the HOA as this poor car would be a neighborhood eyesore even by my standards but we quickly whisked it into the garage where it rolled out six months later as no longer a drivetrain free ugly duckling but now a warm 1500 flat black ducking. Pretty sure I heard Todd laughing heartily as he pulled away. CG now has taken over ownership of this plucky little beast.

My last two....actually three 124 spiders were also towed to my house. I could start my own web site, maybe I could call it "Need a trailer" . What the hell BAT morphed into an auction site and should call themselves Bring Da Money.

In the past, I bought many parts car, probably a lot more than 10 but less than 20. Some of them even got back to the road. They were all an hour away from my house and I was living in the country where you can hide a parts car behind the garage and nobody will complain. Not even the wife. I no longer live there and the last parts car I bought was a 1987 in Buffalo. Crossing the border with a parts car wasn't in my plan and Buffalo to Montréal is still a long ride. So Instead, I went there in a truck with my best friend, which is also my mechanics ( I don't know which came first, the friendship or the mechanical part) a trailer and we manage to rent a garage spot to work Inside and completely dismantle the car to bring it back home. The funny part was when the guy at the border asked us to unpack the trailer and the truck... :oops:

I think I paid 1000$ for a pair of leather seats (that needed to be redone), a pair of leather door cards really clean,a perfect dash and a set of phone dial wheels. All the remaining parts where just profit. I probably sold the wheels (between 200 and 400$, can't remember) and fitted the seats, door panels and dash into my car. Since then one of the seats moved to the basement because I'm using a race seat. (Using is a strong word for a car that haven't seen the road in 19 years!!!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back