Throttle linkage ball joint locking collar

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Hey all,

On 1500FI (and possibly other) cars, there is a ball joint arrangement at several places in the throttle linkage. This consists of the ball at one end, and a cylinder end on a threaded rod at the other. The cylinder has a recess for the ball, but it also has a black spring steel clip/collar that slides down the cylinder and locks the whole thing in place.

What is the official name of that clip/collar?

Thanks!
Pete

I don't know what the official name is, but C Obert calls it a "Throttle cable end clip". New and used available. I looked it up by finding the socket on Chris' website and he is very good about putting related part numbers in the descriptions.

Thanks Jim, but this is actually not for a throttle cable. Or a Fiat... should have put a "only tangentially Fiat related" disclaimer. :(

A friend of mine's lawn tractor has the "ball and socket" arrangement on the steering arm, and his clip appears to be missing. The OD of the steering arm is at least a half inch. I was looking for the official name of the part so I could see if I could find one at McMaster Carr or someplace like that. Since this application is not for a throttle cable, I'm guessing that's not what the part I'm looking for is called. :D

Pete

Hmmm.. well that's 10 minutes of my life I will never get back. Your question clearly said "On 1500FI (and possibly other) cars, there is a ball joint arrangement at several places in the throttle linkage." And you posted your question in the Workshop Forum. If it isn't Fiat related, it goes in the NFC.

Sorry Jim. I was just referencing the throttle cable arrangement to paint a mental picture. Feel free to move/delete this post if inappropriate. Again my apologies.

Pete

Pete, I've usually seen the entire assembly referred to as "ball joints". But to my knowledge the most common type does not use that sliding sleeve to lock it together. Instead it has a wire clip that goes through a small hole then clips over the base. See this image:

mechanical-ball-socket-joint-250x250.jpg

Maybe see if his joint has a little hole for this type clip instead of the Fiat type (see, there is some Fiat content).

Back