Thrust bearing chucking motor...post mortem

as a different thought. could the thrust washers be placed on another main bearing in the motor?
No. They require a machined surface on the crank to bear against the washer, machining in the bearing web on the block, and a different main bearing cap.

I'm feeling way more confident with the oversized thrust washers now. Our crank looked just like Carl's with the flange worn to a point from slamming against the bearing block. TonyK's replacement has a nice thick flange and displays how it should look so as soon as the oversized washers show up I think we're in business.

Our crank looked just like Carl's with the flange worn to a point
It might have been a picture of your old crank that I was thinking of. I recall another one was posted not too long ago that looked like Carl's. So that would correspond with the issue of losing thrust washers and the condition of the crank. Glad to hear you have a better crank now; you should be good.

It might have been a picture of your old crank that I was thinking of. I recall another one was posted not too long ago that looked like Carl's. So that would correspond with the issue of losing thrust washers and the condition of the crank. Glad to hear you have a better crank now; you should be good.
You're right Doc, I posted it back in Mar 2018 I think? Listed under title "crankshaft journal". It looked very similar to Carls

Last edited:
You just made my day Cliff. I actually remembered something correctly. With the way my memory is getting lately, that is special. :rolleyes:

Back