"thunk" pulling away in first or second

carl

True Classic
My Bertone gives a nice thunk when pulling away in first and going hard into second. I changed the dog bone to no effect. The passenger side driveshaft is not close to the cross member so I'm assuming the transmission mount is OK. I do note the CV joint boot on the inner driver side axle CV is totally shot but have no idea if a bad CV would cause that.

Almost sounds like the motor is hitting something.

I was excited that I knew a tech question answer from the title and than I saw it was from you.

I was going to suggest checking the axle CV joint. This is what was wrong with my white X1/9 until I changed the CV joint.

Since I came up the this fix, it must be wrong.

I do note the CV joint boot on the inner driver side axle CV is totally shot but have no idea if a bad CV would cause that.

Yikes!!

If the boot were freshly torn, it might be possible to reboot it. In your case, sounds like it's buggered. A worn CV will absolutely cause a driveline "thunk/ clunk" - better fix it before it comes apart on you & causes all kinds of collateral damage

Excellent, boys. Just so happens Todd will be providing me with a selection of used CVs with good boots this weekend. Looks like the ripped boot destroyed itself a long time ago.

Doesn't matter which end breaks

Just imagine that shaft, whipping around and bouncing off the pavement, at 60 MPH, right behind your seat, under a car you can't slip a Coke can under. Worst case scenario, it burst open the gas tank, starting a fire, on it's way to your Bung Hole. :eyepop::eek::eyepop::eek:

124 spiders are much more fun when the rubber guibo for the driveshaft lets go and tries to take your knees off after ripping through the transmission tunnel.

This happened to Jim Scurria during a race and he was very lucky not to suffer any injuries.

I'll try to keep drag race starts and chirping in second gear (is that even possible in a stock X?) to a minimum till I replace the offending CV.

Just imagine that shaft, whipping around and bouncing off the pavement, at 60 MPH, right behind your seat, under a car you can't slip a Coke can under. Worst case scenario, it burst open the gas tank, starting a fire, on it's way to your Bung Hole. :eyepop::eek::eyepop::eek:

Thank you for that image. I was eating dinner. Was.

My '86 X1/9 does exactly the same thing. It reminds me of the clunk due to a bad ball joint on fwd cars. CV joint boots are easy enough to replace, hardest part for me was cleaning off the old grease. But this sounds just like you described as the engine hitting something. It hasn't got worse over time but it concerns me as well.

Back