timing belt service interval

Duncan

True Classic
Hi,

I'm trying to find out how many miles a timing belt should do before being changed, the factory required service interval. I don't completely trust my Haynes manual.

My cars a 1500, carbed non AC version.

Regards

Duncan

Even though today's belts are (in theory) better made than those back in the day, I still used 30K as belt change interval. I also mark on the belt in white paint marker the mileage at which the belt should be changed ...so if the car is at 56,921, I write on the belt, "change at 87,000 miles."

John O.

I don't agree with that.....

Too much else can happen with that approach. What if?

• The valve reliefs have carbon in them
  • Someone already machined the head
  • Someone changed pistons for the small relief style
  • You are just plain unlucky

Waaaaay too much downside. I have always changed mine at 25000 miles.

Ciao,

Too much else can happen with that approach. What if?

Damned right!!!! The way to have longevity and reliability is to be pro-active/ vigilant about maintenance. Ya, I want a timing belt breaking on me in the middle of the Pennsylvania turnpike like I want my teeth to rot out of my head. Makes no sense to wait for bad **** to go down at the wrong time when it can be prevented.

John O.

Last edited:
The Gates belt people have a nice little down-loadable manual... Fiat is listed. ...No comment on accuracy... just one manufacturer's info...

...and yet, they list 30K for the 1500, and 36K for the 1300. Case closed for me. Those are their CYA numbers. I had a t-belt slip on my very first X and I don't recommend this event to anyone; sure the 1500 is in theory non-interference, but why even play close to that line?

John O.

Back