timing belt slides off the pulley

martijn

X addicted
hello,

recenlty we 292 camshaft in the X (1978 1300 cc) of my dad, we also mounted a vernierpulley from millers mule. No other modifications were done.

The problem is that the timingbelt is not centered on the camshaft pulley. It slides towards the engine and goes over the edge of the pully and hits the engineblock. Before installing the cam and pulley there were no problems.

Somebody ahs a clue of what we do wrong?

gr
martijn

Last edited:
Idler.

Make sure the idler is mounted correctly.

It is possible to have it canted and not square to the belt. It will tension, but keep forcing the belt to walk off it's normal track.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

hello,

recenlty we 292 camshaft in the X (1978 1300 cc) of my dad, we also mounted a vernierpulley from millers mule. No other modifications were done.

The problem is that the timingbelt is not centered on the camshaft pulley. It slides towards the engine and goes over the edge of the pully and hits the engineblock. Before installing the cam and pulley there were no problems.

Somebody ahs a clue of what we do wrong?

gr
martijn

I can confirm it's a common problem, & I solve it by using a pulley with a flange.

Alignment

Did you remove the cam box to swap cams? Walking belts are usually caused by one of the shafts not being pefectly squared up, any tilt will cause the belt to walk. Most cars now have flangeless pulleys so if all the pulleys and tentioner wheels are perfectly trued the belt will stay in place. If the cam box was removed it may not be sitting square on the head when reinstalled causing the misalignment of the cam wheel.

carl

Back