Tomorrow is the day

tim5055

True Classic
Once upon a time, OK back in the early 70's there was this young kid in Miami who wanted to put an 8-Track player in the family Ford maverick. His father told him to get a job and if he saved the money to get a car he would co-sign for a reasonable loan.

Well, I did that. I got a job at Publix Supermarkets, worked my azz off and saved what I needed. I contacted the Publix Credit Union and they told me they would give me a loan with my fathers signature.

A week later I drove a brand new 1974 blue X 1/9 off the lot.....

Work, a wife and life got in the way and that X was traded for a more "reasonable" car - a Pontiac.

I always missed that car

Fast forward to 2009. I found a group on the web being led by this guy "Mac" out on the west coast who did nothing but talk about these cars. I read, I wrote and I longed to get an X again.

Well, it seems there was this guy who goes by the handle JimD. He had a problem, too many X's in his fleet. He had a pretty 1986 in black. We communicated back and forth and in late 2011 I had an X again. OK, he took the pretty Daytona wheels off of it and gave me Tron's. But, I had an X.

I loved her, I got her new wheels. heck, I even took her to a shop in Atlanta that took all of her glass, doors, hoods, hatches, plastic, and bumpers off to give her a nice new paint job. She got a new radio, new antenna, AGM battery, brown wire mod, window relays, wiper relays, headlight relays - heck, I think I cornered the market in relays....

But, time moves on. I'm older and a little wider. The knees don't let me jump in the X like I did when I was 17. I sent Jim a message a couple of weeks ago asking if he knew of anyone who was looking for an X. Someone who would love it. He did. Jim is probably sleeping now because very early tomorrow morning he is headed for the mountains of NC to buy that X back.

I will miss the car but i know it will be with someone who loves and respects it.

But, I'm moving on to a different phase in life. I pick up something new to fill the garage in two weeks. Hopefully it will be a little easier on my knees.....

Newmar4344.jpg

Safe travels.

Nice when there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Well, now today is the day. I made it home with the 86 and myself in one piece. North Carolina has a lot of mountains, in case anyone was curious. Tim had the car all ready to go and he gave me all his boxes of parts too. I already had lots of parts, but I guess there is no thing as too many.

The paint on the car is REALLY nice. Tim fixed all kinds of little and big problems while he had the car. He was a very good owner and I am very lucky he sold it back to me. He put about 8 thousand miles on the car since 2011, so it now has 37014 miles. Just a baby still. :)

I only took a few pictures. Arriving at the hotel last night after the sun had pretty much set. Not a good picture.
20190830_202445.jpg

Getting home today before unloading.
20190831_145223.jpg

Then another fuzzy picture of the 86 tucked away with it two older siblings... and a core aerator. Yeah, I gotta find a better spot for that thing. :rolleyes:
20190831_154223.jpg

Now I need a beer, a shower and then a nap.

Thanks Tim!! The car is way nicer now than when you bought it from me.

Attachments

• 20190831_154223.jpg
    20190831_154223.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 41
  • PaintAfterLF_tiny.jpg
    PaintAfterLF_tiny.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 104,114
  • PaintAfterLF.jpg
    PaintAfterLF.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Back