Tool recommendations needed...

Lee_L

Low Mileage
So I'm wanting to rebuild my brake calipers... any recommendations on what to use to unscrew the pistons on the rear calipers? And no, I don't have the Fiat tool to do it :p

I had a piece of 1/4 inch stock welded to a bolt.

The stock is very tuff and keeps it's edge and using a ratchet on the bolt allows you to put lots of pressure so it doesn't slip. Good control and just ratchet it in /or out.

That's a good idea Jim. I have done two variations of the same idea, you just combined them.

#1) I used a large bolt/nut combo and ground down the sides of the bolt's head to fit in the slot. Then used a wratchet on the nut to turn the bolt. Works pretty well.

#2) I cut a 1x.5" ractangle from 1/4" stock, clamped it with vise grips and used that to turn the piston.

I now use a variation of #2 in that I found a pry bar at Harbor Freight that fits the slot nicely. Now I just use the pry bar to turn the piston.

Hi Steve , that was prototype # 3 for me.... mY first was

just a piece of 1/4 flat bar,,next I added vice grips to it ,,,then I came up with the welded stock to the bolt. I had a coworker make it up. Whats good with the stock is the nice sharp edge. The 5 speed is still working A-1

Google the term "Drag link socket". It is basically a large flat head blade on a "socket wrench" style drive.

Personally, I used a flat piece of steel clamped in my vise grips. It wasn't fun. Naturally, when I posted about how much trouble I had, I was told to get one of these toolsby Damon. ;) I had never heard of a "drag link" before.

Well JimD. that was interesting as I've had one of those for

like 30 years and didn't know the use, or the name of it, as it came in a socket.set. I considered trying it on the piston but decided it wasn't snug enough in the slot. With the 1/4 stock and bolt it fits the slot quite well
and can be cut to the width of the piston, gives it a much better grab.

They come in various thicknesses

When I Googled I found many sizes. I never went out to the hardware stores to get one though. I don't think I found one that was the perfect size. That is probably too much to ask.

So I need to buy a welder? I will tell my wife. I am sure she will be very understanding. ;)

caliper tool

I used to use just a big honkin' screwdriver (turned sideways if necessary), but when faced with a super-stuck caliper I made this. Hope it inspires a solution for you.....

fiatcalipertool.jpg

Back