Tool review

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
While attending a recent tool trade show I noticed a display at the "Lenox" booth. You likely know the name for cutting tools; saw blades, hole saws, cut-off wheels, etc.

The featured product at the show was a fairly new cut-off wheel they offer to replace "friction" cutting discs, called the "Metal Max". Instead of being made from a fiber friction material, or with 'teeth' like a cold-cut blade, these have a diamond coated edge. The concept of using a diamond coated blade is certainly not new, and in the past I've not found them to work well. But the guys offered me some samples to try so I did.

I've only had the opportunity to use them a couple times so far, but I like the way they cut thinner metals (ideal for sheet metal, like body work). I can't speak for any other uses yet (different metals, etc) until I try it. The advantages over friction discs include: no large amounts of dust, not a lot of sparks, not as much heat generated, and they make a very clean narrow kerf. I also found it easy to control.

The wheels are available in various sizes including the large 14" chop saw. So far I've only used the 4 1/2 angle grinder size. But based on that I think it might work well on the large chop saw (eventually I'll try it).

Lenox claims it lasts for 1000 cuts (whatever that means), but the disc does not wear down in diameter like friction discs do. That is real plus in my book. And it's made of metal so it won't suddenly explode and shatter at you (that's a lot of fun; have a scar on my thigh a few inches away from my private bits from that happening).

I'm told they can be bought from places like Lowes, etc (if not already, then soon). I did not pay for the ones I have so can't comment on the price.

They may be worth a look if you do any metal cutting. Here is a link to their site:
http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/lenox-metalmax.aspx

I don't understand why "not a lot of sparks," is listed under advantages. Sparks are cool! They let the wife know the "man stuff" is going on in the shop. :D

Good point, I like the way you think. ;) They also say girls like scars, but the one I got from a shattered disc was too close to "important stuff" for my comfort zone!

Actually it does throw some sparks, just not as much as the friction discs. Because as a friction disc is wearing down, a lot of the sparks and debris is the wheel material being thrown off. Admittedly I have somewhat limited experience with it so far, so my assessment might only apply to the circumstances I was using it under. But for cutting rusted sections from body work it is great in my opinion (something no Fiat has, right?)

Another point I should make is technically it is still something of a 'friction' type cutter, although any cutting device can be called that. But I guess you could say the diamond edge is more efficient than traditional 'friction discs'. So there is still a little 'slag' (if that's the right term) off the edge of the cut that needs to be dressed. However it is less than with the regular discs, and a cleaner cut overall in my opinion.

I should also mention that I have no affiliation with the company/product; this is just a review of my experience, and I thought others might want to try it.

Back