Top Gear USA Season 1 - All 10 Episodes

I kinda liked most of what they did.

Really liked the Alaska toughest truck segment towards the end, but the car-helicopter chase in the second or third show was dumb, though.

instead of a fat unfunny bloke who looks like kevin smith.....why not get kevin smith? he might know bugger all about cars, but he's at least entertaining.......

Brilliant, thanks! I love old American cars- That Fiero was just like mine... except mine had the "Iron Duke" :doh:

I'm going to watch the US ones this weekend. The UK top gear show has been rubbish this year. Not ambitious yet rubbish. Just rubbish.

Also I think they lost me when they got all mean spirited with the last Stig. Watching Hammond gleefully shooting the Stig's cardboard cut out in the back was a bit spiteful.

Their accusation seems to be the Stig was greedy and was trying to cash in by writing a book. Which is a bit much to stomach coming from 3 blokes earning a fortune off the back of the show. And it hasn't been great the last few seasons.

I'm hoping the US ones start to develop into something good.

Just keep in mind that the US show is in its infancy not only creatively but budgetarily, too (if that's even a word:doh:).

They don't have the money needed for the exotic locales and wanton destruction that makes the BBC's Top Gear fun to watch.

If you watch the earlier UK stuff it was pretty basic and was much funnier than the current series. Big money doesn't always make good TV :)

Glad to hear I"m not the only one :)

I hate how they treated the last Stig...aka..."Sacked Stig". There were of course several Stigs during the run of "Sacked Stig" doing fill-ins and high priced tests (for insurance reasons), but the fact that he was the main man for 7 years....working a job for reportedly less than 75K while everyone else is probably making 1MM per episode... complete crap. I thought it was a great joke to have the Stig always dressed, somewhat of a pun on the inter-changability of race drivers....not funny to see they leveraged that to squeeze every dime out of him, then try to trash him when he finally tries to make a little after a good run. It was all handled rather poorly.

ON to Top Gear UK: First episde of this season was a little flat, but I thought last year was ok. My favorites were seasons 10 through 14. The UK version is a comedy show first with cars as the underlying purpose, the personalities pull it off. My only gripe is the love affair with Aston Martin, the unfair ridicule of Porsche's, and the general childish animosity towards anything American...but that last part is some of that British humor coming out (hamming it up for the audience).

On to Top Gear US: When you copy something estabished you either have to put a big original twist to make it different, or do it better, the US version does neither. It's a Car show first with no comedy. It is dry and boring, and the car scenes and even the cinematography seems copied from the U.K. version. It's like Top Gear UK with a lower budget and 3 engineers running the show. It will fail if they don't get some spark. They should have gotten some interesting personalities to host the show.

note... the U.S. is physically incapable of making a good car show. Car shows like GEARZ and others are basically advertisements with no real car reviews or information...though Stacey has a good enough personality he could have hosted top gear u.s.

the specials have always been the biggest draw, across namibia, the veyron truffle race, ferrari to verbier, off roaders across peru.

but even then, some have more than a whiff of the nasty attitude that underlies their brand of humour....witness the miami to new orleans episode, and the deliberate baiting of the locals along the way....i get the feeling that trying to pull of something similiar in downton baghdad, whilst showing a pair of steel balls the size of the titanic, would properly result in a stoning.

some of the smaller segments, transit round the ring, jackie stewart teaching james to drive a track, even being present in studio to see jay leno being interviewed was quality.

btw: as an aside, Rutledge....a common american name? i only ask because for some reason a scene from the john cusack movie, "the sure thing" popped into my head....

Lady in Car: What are you gonna name it?
Alison Bradbury: What?
Lady in Car: The baby.
Alison Bradbury: [realizing she's faking being pregnant] Oh, the baby. Well, if it's a girl, Cynthia, and if it's a boy, Elliot.
Lady in Car: Those are lovely names.
Walter (Gib) Gibson: Elliot? You're gonna name the kid Elliot? No, you can't name the kid Elliot. Elliot is a fat kid with glasses who eats paste. You're not gonna name the kid Elliot. You gotta give him a real name. Give him a name. Like Nick.
Alison Bradbury: Nick?
Walter (Gib) Gibson: Yeah, Nick. Nick's a real name. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kind of guy you can trust, the kind of guy you can drink a beer with, the kind of guy who doesn't mind if you puke in his car, Nick!
[Alison looks disgusted]
Walter (Gib) Gibson: [to Lady in Car] Oh, vomit. I'm sorry. Vomit.

but that's me........:)

being trapped at work with little to do and my laptop out for repair, I'm using a Window box, XP Firefox, IE, updated, no videos on there anymore or is it just me? My Mac showed 'em fine. Odd. Now what am I going to do?

Back