Torn seat rail video is up

I would guess

that perhaps the previous owner was a large one, or maybe was in the habit of slamming down into the seat when he got in and cause the stress fractures over time. It looks like a pretty straight forward minor weld job to me. Maybe weld a small piece of steel over each seam for strength if you want extra reinforcement. Seal it with primer, undercoating, or the anti-corrosive of your choice and call it good. Certainly fixable.

Edit: Hadn't read your earlier post when I responded, but think you're on the right track for the cause.

Last edited:
From the way those cracks look (lifted in the front, down in the back) I'd say the PO was always slamming the seat into the rear stop... I can relate as I'm always looking for another 1/2 inch of leg room in my X...

Overall, looks good!

The work you've done so far look great!

I'd go with welding the crack & adding a buttress plate if really necessary. Just make sure you strip the undercoat around the crack (under the car) at the rear of the rails, since those sit on the outer panel, unlike the raised front tub.

Mike, any indications of a hit from the rear?

A strong hit from the rear could slam the driver back in the seat and cause something like that.

Or maybe it was just the driver entering the car. Remember in the movie "The Big Chill" that the Tom Berenger character was a TV actor who leaped into his car? Maybe that was what a PO did.

Looks fixable.

Ciao,

Gee why didn't I think of that...

A strong hit from the rear could slam the driver back in the seat and cause something like that.

Or maybe it was just the driver entering the car. Remember in the movie "The Big Chill" that the Tom Berenger character was a TV actor who leaped into his car? Maybe that was what a PO did.

Looks fixable.

Ciao,

:D

Possible - but without totaling it?

I'd expect that a hit that hard would do enough other damage to have totaled the car.

Saw this at the Fiat dealership

In the early 1980s when some large/tall guys would come in and complain about their X's driver's seat not moving. We found their seat was wedged all the way to the rear, and they had even un-reclined the seat and pushed back even harder, cracking the floor pan at the same places as yours. We also found they had water leaks through those cracks. We welded the cracks, sealed the area, and told the customers if they wanted more leg room to buy a Spider!
Dave

People slamming down on the seat seems a bit far-fetched to me.
Fatigue cracks seems more plausible, from the constant load on the rail ends combined with vibrations and jolts in the chassi while driving.

I agree with you, Eric

That would have demolished the car. Plus, the reason I got the car was because it was accident free. I was in it, around it and under it and could not find anything out of the ordinary.

At the risk of beinging politically correct.....this guy was just fat, or large, or huskey, or a 6'8" football player. I'm going with fat. Apologies to anyone who might take offense. I'm no Twiggy myself.

Well... its been abused to say the least...

Its gonna stink to weld it up but that will be the quick and easy fix.

I think if it was mine... it would be the perfect excuse to cut out the rails and install some aftermarket or Miata or Fiero seats.

HA... BTW... I've run around 250 for 27 years now and my seat and rails never looked like that. I'm afraid I've even grown more as of late... He/she had to have some heft but also hadta have abused it also!

I would agree with this, mine developed this problem when I first started driving it.

I am not really sure what the cause was, but I am quite tall and for me the floor was tearing as I was driving along.

The solution was weld up the end of the crack and the weld a small plate over the top. This has held for about 2 years so far, and I have added an extra notch in the rail to move it back even further. The car has also spent a bit of time on the track.

So weld it up, add some reinforcement and it should be fine.

People slamming down on the seat seems a bit far-fetched to me.
Fatigue cracks seems more plausible, from the constant load on the rail ends combined with vibrations and jolts in the chassi while driving.

Back