toy car collection and memorabilia

Wow someone sure had quite the specific obsession! My fav was the X pulling the hydro race boat - I don't think so!

A couple of those items in the collection are nostalgic for me! Many years ago, when I was still a teenager, my Uncle Carlo -- my father's younger brother -- came from Italy with his wife to visit us in Novato, California. They were my Godparents (I was going to say he was my Godfather, but I didn't want any misunderstandings). They brought me a special gift from Italy. It was a little white Corgi diecast X1/9 with a green roof, pulling the speedboat! X1/9s started turning my head when I was 14. I'm not sure if my parents told them about my interest in X1/9s, but before I got their gift I had already bought the same Corgi diecast X1/9, with more typical colors -- green with a black roof -- and no boat. Until I got the gift I didn't even know X1/9s could pull a boat.

Last edited:
No problem! (As long as the boat is 2 inches long)
;)
Believe it or not, when I first bought my ‘79, I had a Hobie Cat on a trailer. I made a trailer hitch that bolted to four holes I drilled under the rear bumper and I would tow the Hobie Cat with the X to local boat ramps to launch it. I never made any long trips with it, but never had any problems. I’m sure I must have had some pictures of it back then but have no idea where they might be. Probably at my ex-wife’s.

A few years ago I visited clients of mine in Santa Rosa, to help fix some network and printer problems. Their large fifth wheel trailer was parked on the street in front of their home, and the front of it was on its stands. Their big pickup truck was not there. I put my '82 X in front of the fifth wheel trailer, and parked my car so that the engine cover was under their hitching post. We all had a good chuckle at the sight! I wish I had taken a picture, but back then I kept forgetting that I have a pretty good camera with me all the time courtesy of the smartphone.

The photomontage below simulates the view of my tiny sports car in front of their monster fifth wheel. It was even more comical than the Corgi X1/9 pulling the speed boat!
X19-and-fifth-wheel-trailer2.jpg

Last edited:
Back