Trackrod ball joint

bmck

True Classic
I'm trying to remove one of the rear trackrods (with everything else in place), but am having trouble with the ball joint.

I have read here about the BFH approach and have been bashing the area where the ball joint is received into the hub assembly. Is there a secret sweet spot, or are just random whacks required?

Exactly how hard can I bash without doing any damage? My garage is sounding very much like a blacksmith's shop.

Regards,

Brian

Lots of good penetrating oil over a time period, moderate heat judiciously applied (don't melt any rubber boots or boil the grease out of the main ball joint!), and patience!

Get a proper ball joint puller, not one of those fork widgets, a proper ball joint puller with a good size pressure screw and proper forged construction.

I refuse to separate ball joints via the BFH method for a host of reasons.

I'm trying to remove one of the rear trackrods (with everything else in place), but am having trouble with the ball joint.

I have read here about the BFH approach and have been bashing the area where the ball joint is received into the hub assembly. Is there a secret sweet spot, or are just random whacks required?

Regards,

Brian

Brian, make sure you place a jack............

.......and have been bashing the area where the ball joint is received into the hub assembly........
Brian

........under the threaded ball joint stud (loosen off, but leave the nut on) while you "kiss" the part of the upright with the BFH!!
This ensures that force/weight is trying to free the stud as you hammer it.
A hydraulic ram-type car jack is easiest, as it gives you plenty of room to swing the BFH.
It should only take a few good HEAVY kisses with the hammer to free it!

cheers, Ian - NZ

hi bmck , the best $30 i spent ! (supercheap) :)

Picture034.jpg

Lawso,

I'm talking about the ball joint on the trackrod (toe control) end, not the big lower ball joint. Are you?

What's your definition of "kiss"?

Regards,

Brian

Thanks all.

It's out. Seems that an overnight bath in WD40 then two small love-taps this morning did the job.

(Now just waiting on two new-ish ones to wing their way across the Pacific)

Regards,

Brian

Whoops, wrong ball joint, mate!!

Yep, my mistake there, Brian!!:doh:

Anyway, I see you have got it out by now anyway!! Well done!

My definition of a "kiss" depends on who the kissee is - if it was Brooke Burke, it would be a fair dinkum "whomp, babe"!!
But if it was Magda Szubinski, one of your 'love taps' would be toooooo mucho!! :eek:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back