Tranny leak

Chris in Canada

True Classic
I need to reseal my tranny and was wondering if there were any tricks or precautions I need to know? I already have the gasket set and seals.I am a mechanic, just don’t have a lot of tranny expertise!! It’s a 5spd, out of a 1981. Also, has popped out of reverse a couple of times!!!

Well, if you’re going to break the case apart you might as well pull the gear set and inspect the condition. Since you know there is a fifth gear issue it would be silly not to break it down.
There’s a lot of info on the forum on all aspects of the process.

Look for 5-speed 101 by Steve Hoelscher, and for Bernice's (Rupunzel) posts with pix, invaluable resources!

These are pretty simple transaxles, only one adjustment which is final drive bearing preload, measured with a feeler gage and adjusted with inexpensive shims that our vendors have good stock of.

This is one of those "slippery slope" things. I'm currently doing a similar job on one of my trannys. Here is my take on it.

If you are removing the trans (which isn't that difficult and makes all work on it MUCH easier), then you can replace all of the seals. And while you are at it, you might as well open the 5th gear housing to see why 5th is causing you problems. And if you go that far, you might as well split the main case to clean and inspect everything (follow the resources on this forum). Even if there are no issues, you'll be shocked at how dirty the inside of a trans gets....even after changing the fluid. A ton of crud builds up in numerous pockets/cavities and continues to circulate after a fluid change [by the way, a typical "in car" trans fluid change does not remove ALL of the old lube and does little to remove much of the debris]. Opening the case will also allow you to replace the gaskets (another likely source of leaks) and makes replacing some of the seals much easier. And if you have things that far, then you might as well rebuild the whole thing <see the next paragraph>. Hince the "slippery slope".

However it gets REALLY expensive to properly rebuild the trans. And if there are no current issues with it, and a good cleaning/inspection does not reveal any further problems, then it isn't always necessary to replace every thing. That decision will partly depend on your lifestyle. Some don't have the time/willingness to go back in a couple years and work on it again if needed, and would rather do everything now. On the other hand others might not be able to afford a arbitrary total rebuild if it doesn't need it. Replacing all of the seals and gaskets isn't too expensive (depending on where you buy the parts), but things like syncros, sliders, hubs, gears, forks, bushings, bearings, etc, etc, IS expensive. And from the recent experiences of others, the replacement parts currently available are likely worse than the used components currently in your good working trans. Personally I don't believe in replacing parts just for the sake of replacing parts if they don't need replacement. And I'd rather not waste a lot of money on questionable quality parts. Plus I don't mind if I have to go back into it in a few years (assuming I still have the car). Which brings up another factor - what are the long term intentions with this vehicle and how much use/abuse do you give it? It is amazing how long a old trans will live with typical wear, so long as it isn't abused. So like I said, it depends on your circumstances and goals. But a good clean and reseal isn't difficult (my recent experience was the first time I've been into a Fiat tranny...but not my first trans). Your 5th gear issue might be a little more involved though. You'll find out more once you open the 5th housing.

From what I gather popping out of reverse is a fairly common problem. The reverse gear shafts in early five speeds were prone to bending and fifth gear gets beat up with use (and abuse).

Inspect everything thoroughly and replace parts that are suspect. The synchros are one of the first parts to wear out (especially third). Use the correct oil (Redline is recommended).

Mine is still apart in pieces while I wait for parts.

Brian

As long as you have it out, be sure to remove, clean and lubricate the throw out arm shaft. If it seizes up you will probably burn up a clutch. Easy to do and even easier to over look

I need to reseal my tranny and was wondering if there were any tricks or precautions I need to know? I already have the gasket set and seals.I am a mechanic, just don’t have a lot of tranny expertise!! It’s a 5spd, out of a 1981. Also, has popped out of reverse a couple of times!!!

I opened many times the 5 speeds trany, what I use for gasket dressing is "Spray Sealant from Permatex".
I spray a generous coat on both sides of the gasket before installation.

Like you know with Red Line MT90 many people mention the transmission is leaking but when I'm dressing the gasket with the Permatex Spray Sealant I really have success no leak.:)

hJVdUsX.jpg

No issue, just use a small metal spatulas and flat rasor blade and finishing the clean-up with acetone, pretty easy.
Most of the sealant just following the gasket paper when removing.

My leak is at the right side output shaft
Ya chris, definitely sounds like you need new seals.

I think Yves was suggesting the product as a gasket dressing when reassembling the case halves. I know in other circles (other car makes) they have found that a sealant works better than gaskets (in place of them) for large alloy split case assemblies. The preferred sealant there is more a type of glue; makes for difficult disassembly later, and a lot of work to clean off before reassembling in the future. But it really seals in situations where leaks are notorious with any other method.
Another one that works well as a dressing is Hylomar, but it is also a chore to remove later. That is why I was asking about the clean up of the product Yves suggested.

Back