Trans selector shaft oil seal?

Lowtechprime

Retro Grouch
Does anyone have an efficient procedure for removing and replacing the Trans selector shaft oil seal at the back of the trans? My trans was new old stock, but it was still 40 years old, the seal felt a little dry but I couldn't easily get it out so I left it, but now it seems to be leaking so gotta change it...

My seal is leaking as well. I used the plain old search button in the upper right corner of the page and typed in "shift rod seal". A number of informative threads came up. I think that one of the most useful tips might be to wrap the end of the shift rod with electrical tape so that the sharp edges don't damage the seal when you slide it on. There are also tips on removing the old seal as well as driving the new one in.

Now all I need is to get a seal. I have not found a US supplier with them in stock but there are several international suppliers that have them. Too bad the shipping is more than the part, and that's not exactly a large part.

Hmmm... I typed in those same search terms and did not get back any threads that included removing or installing that seal...🫤

This was recently discussed. And there were a few good related threads noted there. Sadly I don't have a direct link, but try the other "Google" search tool:

Try searching online with some alternative part numbers, vs by the vehicle application. For example, this seal is made by a few large manufactures that only make seals. So you might find one offered under one of those part numbers rather than the Fiat number. For instance "Corteco 19012413B". Long shot but sometimes that brings up more results.

Otherwise I agree with Karl, Eurosport ships really fast and their shipping costs are reasonable. But I also agree with you, shipping has become a huge issue - both in terms of cost and delivery time.

Does anyone have some special procedure to remove the old seal? Mine will not move. I even used a 2 arm puller and a slide hammer, it has not moved a millimeter.... It's the original seal, so it's been in there about 40 years... It was an NOS 5 speed, it's not corroded or anything.. It still looks pretty new really, the rubber has just 'aged out'.. It just won't come out though....

My 35ish year old seal came right out. I used the suggestion of using a wrench that fit in the "groove" & tapped it with a hammer to remove. I may have used a needle nose vice grip, Not enough pressure to crush the brass, just lock in the groove.

Does anyone have some special procedure to remove the old seal? Mine will not move. I even used a 2 arm puller and a slide hammer, it has not moved a millimeter.... It's the original seal, so it's been in there about 40 years... It was an NOS 5 speed, it's not corroded or anything.. It still looks pretty new really, the rubber has just 'aged out'.. It just won't come out though.
I've always been able to get them out just by putting the tip of a screwdriver against the outer lip, aimed towards the nose of the car, and then gently tapping with a hammer. A slide hammer should be huge overkill here, I'd be a bit worried that your puller arms aren't engaging the seal itself.

Just did the seal on my son's '86 this morning. Came right out with thee hammer whacks on a 22 mm wrench.

IMG_4001.jpeg

The new one went in the same way, just hit it with a hammer in the opposite direction of course...

IMG_4002.jpeg

Just did the seal on my son's '86 this morning. Came right out with thee hammer whacks on a 22 mm wrench.

View attachment 75733

The new one went in the same way, just hit it with a hammer in the opposite direction of course...

View attachment 75734

“I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”​

― Bill Gates

Nicely done :) Smart.

Certainly not.

Smart. I intend to follow your technique when I install mine.

Back