Transaxle out for seals...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Last weekend I took out the Scorpion's transaxle to replace the engine's rear main seal. Turns out, however, the rear main was fine and the leak was the transaxle. Ordered seals and finally got to install them today. I used a little RTV on the outer edge of the seals, and used my shop press to carefully install them into the carriers. Also replaced the hub flange seal carriers' o-rings.

Got the flywheel off thanks to an HF 1/2" electric impact wrench, and replaced the rear main seal anyway. It's all ready to reinstall tomorrow.

Here's the bellhousing after cleanup and the new mainshaft seal is in, and everything else reinstalled.

IMG_1504_zpsa4542871.jpg

Here's the axle flanges after new seals, o-rings and some fresh paint.

IMG_1505_zps57ab7d2a.jpg

Here's the new rear main seal installed.

IMG_1507_zps51b07fdd.jpg

And the flywheel, pressure plate and friction disc reinstalled.

IMG_1508_zps8c2f2af6.jpg

Whew!

It's in!

IMG_1509_zpsd020ccbb.jpg

Hours of wrestling and frustration, then a moment of realization that it was snagged on the parking brake cable, then more frustration and wrestling (and swearing!) then suddenly it slid home. Now just suspension, axles, and other details. Not tonight.

How much easier is just the trans? I've always pulled the engine and trans together; usually because it's the first time on a particular car and I use the opportunity to do other maintenance and detailing.

It's in!

IMG_1509_zpsd020ccbb.jpg

Hours of wrestling and frustration, then a moment of realization that it was snagged on the parking brake cable, then more frustration and wrestling (and swearing!) then suddenly it slid home. Now just suspension, axles, and other details. Not tonight.

Good question...

In this case it was a matter of triage. I just wanted to fix the leak and get on with life. When I rebuild the engine, it will all come out again, but that will require taller ramps. :)

Back