Transmission Assembly

Robert Mose

True Classic
I am reassembling my transmission this weekend and I have a question for the transmission gurus before I seal every thing up.
I have all the internals in, selector rods and and forks installed. I have placed the 1/2 and 3/4 slider in "neutral position.
My question is....
When I turn the input shaft I am still getting movement in the gear cluster and diff. Is this happening because of an assembly mistake?
I suspect its as a result of all the friction between the parts as they are not bathed in oil.

I think that's normal 'cause mine did that too.

After final dry fit, I took all the internal components apart again and then coated them with a very thin layer of Redline MTL as I did final reassembly. And as Steve pointed out a week or two ago, there's gonna be drag and posssibly case fouling by 1st gear because the two shafts are not properly aligned in relation to themselves and the case until you put the big bearings on them, put the intermediate cover on and torque down the shaft nuts.

Movement is normal. There is always some drag through the gears that will turn the pinion shaft and the diff. Once the transmission is assembled, you should be able to turn the input shaft and hold the CV flanges so they won't turn.

Back