Transmission fluid resevoir

SciFi65

True Classic
Jesus, I'm either the biggest n00b or blind as a bat, or both. Just where is the transmission fluid filler cap at? I looked at my Haynes Manual and it showed what looked like it on the left (facing from trunk) part of the tranny, but after a long inspection I don't see anything that even resembles a place to put tranny fluid.

At the end of the tranny

facing left side of the car. You should see two plugs, lower for draining, upper for filling. Remove the fill plug first, that way if you find out it is stuck you still have fluid in the tranny.

That last bit about the fill plug first...

It's some damn good advice. Dr. Wifey's BMW has a fill plug I cannot loosen. I've tried everything, and am damn lucky I didn't drain it first. :help:

Who Wants Pix?

IMG_0290-1.jpg

Dan, how come...............??

.....the underside of your X is ALWAYS so goddam clean????

Do you get underneath it every day, and wash and dry it all down? :laugh:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Now this shot is worth 1000 words...

Too bad there isn't a BEST OF section in this version to permenantly POST this stuff for the benefit of others... but I digress...

Progress, at ANY cost...

HAHAHA!

Sweet

You guys RULE, thanks a bunch :) By the way, is there anyway to see exactly how much fluid is in there still before putting any in (if needed)?

The standard procedure for checking fluid in assemblies that have just drain and fill plugs and nothing resembling a dipstick is:

1. Raise the vehicle SAFELY as needed, but keep it level at the same time so as to not affect the fluid measurements

2. Check the owners manual or other documentation to see if there is a hot or cold way to measure; on differentials and manual transmissions as a general rule on passenger cars there is no hot or cold value specified

3. Clean the area around the fill plug thoroughy.

4. Remove the fill plug, being prepared for a small amount of warm-to-hot fluid to drain out; if fluid drains out, generally speaking it's full! :lol:

5. If no fluid drains out, stick your pinky in the hole and bend it down, trying to feel for the fluid level; be mindful of heat

6. If no fluid drains out, be prepared to add the correct fluid to bring the level up to the point where no more can be added without it draining out (or up to the point described in the specs); clean the threads of the plug hole first to prevent any debris from getting in

7. After adding fluid if necessary, clean the fill plug threads, use a little teflon tape if the plug was leaking, replace the plug and tighten to the right torque spec

8. Lower vehicle, road test, check for leaks, you're done!

Back