Transmission Gear Condition

KPx

Low Mileage
How perfect does a gear in the transmission needed to be? I'm in the process of rebuilding the transmission and am seeing nicks on some of the teeth of the reverse gear. Hopefully they are showing up well enough in the pictures. Would this gear be alright to use or should I start looking for a replacement. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20211224_225515151.jpg
    PXL_20211224_225515151.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 146
  • PXL_20211224_225521951.jpg
    PXL_20211224_225521951.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 146
The leading (engagement) edge doesn't look too worn, but the actual face of the tooth looks a little ragged in the first picture, any marks will soon end up transferring to the other two gears involved in reverse, and they are both quite a bit more expensive than the idler gear....

How do the other 2 gear teeth faces look? (1/2 sliding sleeve with reverse around its periphery and the input shaft gear)

SteveC

The leading (engagement) edge doesn't look too worn, but the actual face of the tooth looks a little ragged in the first picture, any marks will soon end up transferring to the other two gears involved in reverse, and they are both quite a bit more expensive than the idler gear....

How do the other 2 gear teeth faces look? (1/2 sliding sleeve with reverse around its periphery and the input shaft gear)

SteveC
Agree entirely with the above.

I should note, the damage seen on this idler is likely the result of damage on the input shaft and/or the 1-2 slider mating gears.

Because the engagement edge has so little wear compared to the damage on the teeth face, I would assume that somebody recently replaced the idler gear and left its worn/damaged mates in place.

Back