transmission issue

ssharpe

Low Mileage
Hi

I am about to strip and refurbish an old five speed transmission. I removed it from my car a few years ago because it had a whine in 3rd/4th when in overun, However when in 5th it was quiet.

I am looking for any ideas on what could cause the problem and what I should look out for when inspecting the parts.

Thanks

Steve

Worn bearings

Stripped the transmission yesterday and inspected the parts. The two large bearings on the outside of the shafts feel very rough when you spin them by hand. Thanks for the advice on that.

The cone on 2nd gear is totaly worn so that even a new synchro ring bottoms out. 1st gear has 50 thou clearance. As I did most of the mileage on this box, it doesn't say much for my gearchanging style. The problem is that I can't find a source for a new 2nd gear. Even Matt hasn't any at present. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks

Steve

The good news about 2nd gear is that over the years of the X1/9 five speed sold in the USA, despite the fact that all of the other gears, reverse included, were changed to some degree or another, 2nd never changed.

That fact may also account for it being somewhat scarce now.

Besides Matt, did you check some of our other vendors like Vick Autosports, DiFatta Bros, Chris Obert, International? There is an eBay vendor GWS rareparts that seems to have some trans items, too. If no joy, you may want to ask our European buddy Henk Martens.

Those two large bearings can be periodically hard to find, too. When I was rebuilding my trans, no one had them so I had to order them from a bearing warehouse in the Netherlands.

Well if Steve H says so, that's good enough for me.:grin:

As a side note, if all 4- and 5-speed X1/9 2nds are the same, then Fiatplus/Obert needs to put the correct pic on their site. The pic referenced is of a gear that would use the Posche-type synchro rather than the cone-type synchro that is on a 5-speed's 1st and 2nd gears.

Hey, good catch about the photo

The pic referenced is of a gear that would use the Posche-type synchro rather than the cone-type synchro that is on a 5-speed's 1st and 2nd gears.

The 4-speed X transmission definitely uses cone-type syncros on 1st and 2nd, just like the 5-speed. It would be a good idea to check with Chris about whether the photo is wrong or the description is wrong before ordering.

SSharpe, if you can't score a new second gear, let me know. I'm going to be pulling several 4-speed cores apart in the next few weeks, might luck into a still-serviceable gear in one of them.

2nd gear

Well, strictly speaking, there are different 2nd gears, but they are all interchangeable.

The cone being worn out on 2nd is common and has nothing to do with the driver's technique. Clearly, Fiat had an issue with the hardening of the surface on these parts. While not all 1st and 2nd gears wear out the hub, some do and it likely happens at very low mileage.

Early 128 4 speeds have Porsche type synchros on 1st and 2nd. No X1/9's had Porsche Type synchros on 1st and 2nd. They are all cone type.

If anybody needs a 2nd gear I have good used units in stock.

2nd gear

Thanks for the help everyone. I noticed the picture was wrong. I will ring Chris and ask if he has the wrong picture or if he is showing a 128 gear.

Meanwhile Steve how do I go about buying a 2nd gear from you.

Thanks

Steve

This whole discussion made me curious enough...

This whole discussion made me curious enough that I just took apart a junker 128 transmission that I had lying around... Yep, Porsche syncros on 1st and 2nd. Too bad, because those gears are in pretty good shape... I might find some 128 owner out there who can use them.

Back