Transmission linkage shaft seal

catterar

Bob Cattera
My transmission oil is slowly draining from the transmission where the linkage shaft enters the case.
How is this seal changed. Please tell me it can be done with the transmission in place.

Shaft Seal

I recently did this, no problem leaving the transmission in place on the 5 speed. Took me about an hour and I'm a novice.

Good luck, Bill

You'll want to find a cheapie deep socket that's long and wide enough to fit over the end of the selector input rod. Once you have that...

Disconnect the linkage at the lollipop, work the old seal out with a screwdriver, slide it off the selector input rod. Slide the new seal on, use the socket and a light hammer to tap it into place.

Thanks

Sounds easy enough, do you think the spark plug wrench that came with the old Fiat tool kits would work to drive home the new seal?
Erich, hope I get to meet you in Cary on the 26th.

Sounds easy enough, do you think the spark plug wrench that came with the old Fiat tool kits would work to drive home the new seal?
Erich, hope I get to meet you in Cary on the 26th.

I will be there. And no idea about the spark plug wrench... Never thought about that... I think I'd want something that bears more evenly on the seal. Can't hurt to try though, and come to think of it, I'd expect that Lowes or Home Depot would have a cheap PVC plumbing fitting that would work too.

That may be a little too big.........!

.....do you think the spark plug wrench that came with the old Fiat tool kits would work to drive home the new seal? ......

......I replaced the trans selector shaft seal in my 1300 X about 3 weeks ago, and I used a 19mm deep socket to tap the new seal in - I also suggest smearing a dab of gasket cement around the outside surface of the seal that goes into the trans housing. This helps the seal slide into its position, and also helps against oil leaks from the trans.
If you are fitting a new convoluted boot at the same time, be prepared for a bit of a wrestle! They are a REAL tight fit over the end of the seal housing!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Pouring oil

When you pull the old seal off does oil gush out of the tranny before you get the new one in place? Is it best to drain the tranny first?
Bruce

Nope..............!!

....When you pull the old seal off does oil gush out of the tranny before you get the new one in place? ....

......the selector rod is a close fit in the bore of the trans housing - you may get a slight weep of oil but that's all!
It's quite an easy job, really! I used a flat-nosed punch to tap the old seal out (from the back of the seal - there's a 'neck' that lets you get a punch in from behind).
Biggest hassle was wrestling the new dustboot on. Not a helluva lot of wriggle room when you are lying under the jacked-up car!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Linkage Seal

I’m apprehensive about driving the car another mile further. This thing has been leaking so much for so long I’m afraid that I might grenade the transmission. The new seal and GL1 are arriving Tuesday via UPS. I plan to do the repair Wednesday before the Cary meet and greet. If you want to swing by after the event we can do yours here. I’ll have the tools and experience.

Wrong Linkage seal

I ordered the linkage seal from VAS and they sent me the wrong one (much bigger).
Anybody knows the part number on the seal???
Transmission is 5 speed.
Thanks in advance.
George

I’m apprehensive about driving the car another mile further. This thing has been leaking so much for so long I’m afraid that I might grenade the transmission. The new seal and GL1 are arriving Tuesday via UPS. I plan to do the repair Wednesday before the Cary meet and greet. If you want to swing by after the event we can do yours here. I’ll have the tools and experience.

Trans selector rod seal/boot

...Anybody knows the part number on the seal??? Transmission is 5 speed.........

The selector rod seal is p/no 4451676
Dustboot p/no 4401404

These p/no's as per Bruce's Parts Bin manual

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back