Transmission questions

If you get the opportunity, consider a trial of Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle engine oil. It is fully synthetic and has the added bonus of carrying a GL-1 rating..

Dan, the opportunity is not likely to come again anytime soon. I no longer have my DSP X1/9 and my '74 is not going to need a fresh transmission for some time.

Nor do I see much need for testing it. I have already tested 20/50 and 10/40 synthetic motor oils and found them to work acceptably well. Before discovering MTL I had been using 20/50 for a few years and was satisfied with it. I can't imagine there would be any appreciable performance difference in Amsoil and any other synthetic motor oil.

On paper seems to be a combination of all that we are looking for.

The GL1 rating isn't the holy grail. I really don't see any advantage in having a GL1 rating in modern lubricants.

Its not without significance to note that motorcycle engines are a compbination of engine and transmission and that most share the same oil. More importantly, motorcycle transmissions don't have synchronizers. Therefore one of the most important functions of the oil in an X1/9 transmission isn't even present in a motorcycle transmission.

So I really don't see Amsoil as being what we are looking for on paper. Especially when we already have the an excellent solution in Redline's MTL and MT90. Why spend a lot of effort looking for an alternative when we already have something that works so well?

word!

The stuff works as advertised...Smoother shifting and much quieter too, especially in reverse and when idling in neutral. FYI, I use the MT 90because of the warm climate down here. Some of the best advice I've gotten from this site!

I'm out
Tommy

GL-1...Why?

While this was a FIAT spec lube from years ago, lubrication technology has moved on since then. There is little reason to not take advantage of modern lubricants for the X and they do make a significant difference. Among the Brit car folks, this is a constantly debated topic along with DOT-5 silicone brake fluid.

Back