transmission rebuild progress

I didn't replace mine because it looked and seemed to function perfectly, but it turned out to be weak.

Now I'm gonna have to pull my tranny again just to do the darn syncro.

That's how I learned too :mallet:

from what i can tell, this unit has very low miles sub 50k im sure
aside from the bent reverse shaft, and the bad seals/gaskets, looks pretty new

Last edited:
I'd still replace the 3d gear synchro

from what i can tell, this unit has very low miles sub 50k im sure
aside from the bent reverse shaft, and the bad seals/gaskets, looks pretty new

I'd still replace the 3d gear synchro while I was in there. Plenty of X transmissions develop 3rd gear crunch well before 100k miles. I wouldn't bother with other stuff that looks good.

Got to agree

My 79 had a bent shaft on reverse idler so I swapped out an 80 box and rebuilt the reverse idler and 1-2 sleeve at a latter date. The box only had 40K miles on it. Kept it as a spare. Purchased an 87 not running only to find out that reverse was gone and no 1st gear. So I used the repaired 79 box in the 87 well is now 3rd is a bit iffy and I owned that box since new.

Change out the 3rd gear syncro.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

more progress
questionable stuff, the scoring near the mainshaft is from the first gear on the countershaft(1 tooth is imperfect), crack in the reverse shaft hole, and scoring on the inside of the reverse 5th gear hole
167126_1784834700202_1219530682_2043199_8093412_n.jpg

smoothed out the dimple on the reverse/5th gear shift rod
162656_1784834860206_1219530682_2043200_2610553_n.jpg

smoothed out the shift rod hole better than it was, the shift rod move a lot easier than it did coming out now
167643_1784835180214_1219530682_2043206_4133847_n.jpg

The challenge will be getting that reverse gear shaft boss repaired. It will need to be welded up and hole smoothed out enough to fit the shaft and the hole not excessively over sized that the O-ring cannot seal. If the O-ring does not seal, it will leak into the bell housing. It is not a tight tolerance hole, it is stressed as it is what supports the reverse gear when engaged.

Smooth out the other shift shaft holes and if possible smooth and polish the shifter shafts on a lathe, it will make a difference. Same applies to the shifter input shaft.

What appears to be dents near the input shaft bearing should be OK. Cannot really see them too well from the image.

Bernice

more progress
questionable stuff, the scoring near the mainshaft is from the first gear on the countershaft(1 tooth is imperfect), crack in the reverse shaft hole, and scoring on the inside of the reverse 5th gear hole

smoothed out the dimple on the reverse/5th gear shift rod

smoothed out the shift rod hole better than it was, the shift rod move a lot easier than it did coming out now

Bent reverse gear shaft = cracked boss

I would probably go looking for a different case. That boss saw some significant stress to be cracked like that.

Evidently some PO was fairly ham handed about reverse gear.

Ciao,

Just a point of info regarding cases, if you decide to take Mark's advice to replace the case.....the shop manual says the case is line bored and therefore discourages replacing just the half of the case that has the damage. So you'd want to replace the entire case and not just the half that's damaged.

Back