Transmission Removal Question

jjay911

True Classic
Ok I have all of the bolts loose. I took the Dog bone off and I removed the rear mounted engine mount. I have the engine loose, I have all of the transmission bolts and nuts removed. I cant seem to get the transmission to budge. I removed the bolt that holds the starter on. But the starter is still connected. Is there something I missed? I have the axle on the drivers side removed. My goal was to slide the transmission off at an angel using the engine hoiste to lower the engine at an angle... Any one local that is bored is welcome to come over and assist... It is very difficult to work on the car since the paint is so nice...You know with out scratching her...:angel::sigh:

Im open for phone call advice as well.. JJ 949-910-1206

I thought about you as I passed by Tustin today...

... but figured you SHOULDA been at work in Newport... so I didn't stop.

The Vette was cruisin' at 80 with A/C cooking and the CD blairing... Sharon was sleeping...
cccb
Hey... there are THREE starter bolts, 13 or 14 mm I think... easily reachable from the top with a socket and short extention.

Other than that... ther are THREE bolts and ONE NUT on a stud holding 5 speeds in place, I imagine the same for the 4 speed.

Sorry I can't help... but we are VACATIONING for 4 days between medical procedures...

My love to Mary and Emma...

I took the Dog bone off..... I removed the bolt that holds the starter on. But the starter is still connected. Is there something I missed?

No need to remove the dog bone (although it won't hurt), but there are three bolts holding the starter on, so I hope you meant to say "the bolts" not "the bolt"....

But most likely you missed the little 10mm head bolt that holds the sheet metal flywheel guard onto the bell housing. It's just forward and above the triangular transmission mount.

Yes Eric Looks like I missed a few bolts on the Starter.. I will tackle first thing in the morning.. Thanks...

Be sure to remove the flywheel cover (M6 nuts and bolts) on the bottom of the transaxle, near the lower cross member.

*Disconnect the reverse light switch.

*Remove the clutch slave cylinder.

*Don't loose the alignment dowel sleeves on the lower M12 stud and M12 bolt hole.

*All three M8 bolts on the starter off and move it out of the way.

*Lower transaxle mount / cross member removed.

That should do it.
Bernice

Yes Eric Looks like I missed a few bolts on the Starter.. I will tackle first thing in the morning.. Thanks...

Ok.. Good news... Its out... uhhhhhhhhhhh but so is the engine and everything else.... Man I feel Like I am back to square one with this car again..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkk:dead:

OK, is there more to story now?

Ok.. Good news... Its out... uhhhhhhhhhhh but so is the engine and everything else.

It is certainly is easier to separate and replace the transmission with the engine out of the car, but not that much easier...

I have some video if you guys want to see....:D [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYqVvBUmELE"]YouTube- X/19 dallara Transmission Replacement[/ame]

Last edited:
But why? It's not that hard to remove just the trans...

IMG_6752.jpg

I don't understand?

My challenge is a few things...

Challenge 1.
I live in a gated community that frowns on excessive noise and working on the car in the garage.
Challenge 2.
I have 3 cars in a 2 car garage and none of them run. this means I have to play musical cars or Tetris.
Challenge 3. I have a lift in the garage, So what do I do use the lift? or not? In hindsight If I had not used the lift then It might have been easier to do the job however I like the controlled environment of the lift because It is harder to damage or scratch the car when its on the lift...

One of these days I will not have so many cars and they will all run and I wont have these challenges.. But no worries. I will get it all put back in soon...And I will try to provide some entertaining videos or photos..:grin:

Back